Search in Leopard Mail.app, Default Sort?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chelsel, Nov 13, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

In Tiger, the default sort in Mail.app was "Rank"... a meaningless field (at least to everyone except Apple). Is the default sort in Leopard something more meaningful, for example, date sent or received? If not, can you at least configure the default sort?

The default sort in Mail has been a real letdown coming from powerhouse Windows search programs like Copernic... would love to see a fix for the default sort in leopard.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

My Leopard Mail defaults to "All Mailboxes" and "Entire Message", but there are buttons to choose other options that appear when you enter something in the search box

3. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

My post concerns the default SORT order of the searches performed in Mail.app. I want to make sure that the default SORT for the returned results is by date instead of Rank as it is in Tiger.

The way your search results appear in Mail.app is sorted by Rank, not by date, like every other intelligent search system related to mail... just wondering if Leopard fixed this bug?

4. kellah macrumors regular

I do not like the rank sort order either. Another gripe I have is that Apple-F searches the current email and not messages. Does anyone know if there is a workaround for that?

Edit: In case anyone else is looking to use Apple-F as search mailbox in Mail, all you have to do is go into System Preferences and change Keyboard Shortcuts there. Add a shortcut for Mail and menu item Mailbox Search and assign it whatever shortcut key-combo you want.

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Sorry, my bad

6. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

Please confirm

Can anyone confirm that default searches in Mail.app are sorted by "Rank" in Leopard?

Thanks,
    Cliff.

7. TheStu macrumors 65816

What do you mean by the default searches? As in, "Oh crap, where is that email from Jeff?" and then you run a search for Jeff... So you want to know how they are sorted...

OK, they are sorted by Date Received Down, just did a search in my mailbox for all things pertaining to Newegg.