Search not working in Settings app

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by digiphantom, Dec 7, 2017.

1. digiphantom macrumors regular

I just got an iPhone X, updated it to iOS 11.2, and restored from my 6s iCloud backup.

I'm noticing that I can't do a search in the Settings app. If I type something in to find a setting, nothing shows up. I've rebooted the phone, but same result.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

blankSearch.png

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Seems to work fine here using iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2.

3. digiphantom thread starter macrumors regular

after two days, I'm still not seeing anything when I type in the settings search for the X.

It works fine on my 6S in iOS 11.2.

4. xetmarcr macrumors member

xetmarcr

I also bought the X and at time of purchase restored from 6s iCloud backup. In Settings, search works fine here.

5. digiphantom thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe it's something in my backup that's screwing up. I kind of want to avoid setting up as a new phone, but it would probably solve further issues.

6. victoriani macrumors member

victoriani

I had the same issue with my iPhone X and restoring from iPhone 7. I eventually reset all settings and it worked.

7. digiphantom thread starter macrumors regular

I just updated to the 11.2.1 and it seems to have fixed the issue.

8. Neebee, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017

Neebee macrumors 6502a

I thought the latest update fixed this issue but just today it happened again. Just an FYI. I updated to the latest iOS when it became available. It took this long for the bug to reappear.

9. heymarcel macrumors newbie

heymarcel

I’m having the same issue with my X. A little frustrating.

10. Neebee macrumors 6502a

I suggest contacting Apple Support through Twitter and via Feedback. I have used hyperlinks for ease.

11. jonmcd73 macrumors newbie

reset all settings fixed the problem for me

12. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Mine randomly started working today. I did nothing to try to get the search to work.

The minimum wage Apple social media support team quickly praised me that things are working now but refuse to document the incident and forward for further escalation. This will happen again so keep your guard up and keep nagging Apple support.

13. MaximizedAction, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

MaximizedAction macrumors member

Got the same issue with my new iPad Pro 10.5. I set it up restoring from an iPad Mini 4 on 11.2.1. One day in it’s still not working, so probably nothing to do with it still indexing I suppose.

Edit: Resetting all settings indeed fixes this...but erases all settings :confused:.

14. kwamayze macrumors newbie

Yes. Just experienced it yesterday. Was working before. Though restarting would fix it but it didn’t
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2018 ---
    In fact mine worked earlier when I searched for something but wouldn’t seconds later when I went back to search for something else. Thought it was a minor bug and restarting would fix it

15. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502a

purpleparrotuk

New iPhone X restored from backup few days old mine won’t search in settings either.

16. Kostkv macrumors newbie

I find solutions or workaround)))

My payment for iCloud can’t be accepted, because was empty card without money! And after what I see one notification under AppleId what I need to renew, Update Payment Details!

I change Language Settings for iPhone, and Search in Settings and Search in Spotlight was enable again!!! I think after noticing about Payment, iPhone clear cache for Settings!!

Or change payment card, or get new virtual card with 0$ balance. After try to get payment for iCloud, cache Settings will be erased and Search in Settings and in Spotlight will be work again!

I think to add alert about update payment, iOS clear cache for Settings App!

03-01-2018 03:22 PM

17. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Just an update..it was working for a week or so, now it disappeared again.

I think all those who are affected should contact Apple support and get this issue escalated.

18. abashford macrumors newbie

Having worked through Apple support, they asked if I had installed via a iCloud backup which I confirmed. I confirmed I was on iPhone X and 11.2.6 and they asked me to do the following:

- Phone restart (no change)
    - Reset all settings (fixed the problem)

They suggested that I could restore my settings from my iCloud backup. I asked if they thought the problem might return with the restore, and they said no. I decided to just redo my settings, so I can't confirm if this would make the problem come back.

19. Kostkv macrumors newbie

Can somebody check?
    From 3 March Search is working until I close all programs by swapping up, after what Search in Settings again didn’t work.
    Now I try 5-6 count Settings-General-Sofware Update. Enter in input * and suggestions fade in... can you check?

20. shankar2 macrumors 6502a

I too had same bug reset all settings fixed it

21. Kostkv macrumors newbie

I can’t do this because I’m didn’t want lost my WiFi passwords)))

22. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

You’d better write down your Wifi passwords while you still can.

23. Sri Anjeash macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2018 ---
    Am experiencing it too!

24. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

25. Tuppery Numnak macrumors member

XS Max here. Restored from an 8 Plus iCloud backup. Same issue.