Search Paths for External Drives

rockyduderino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2015
Hi there!

I have three questions regarding organisation /search paths of instrument libraries for a cubase (music workstation application) plug-in that I keep on external hard drives and I have a hard time finding other threads / answers that apply for my problem.

I am on Mojave on a MacBook Pro from 2015 and I have three problems /questions:

1 — Before I started to import all my libraries and started organising them inside the plug-in I, on one of the external drives, had them in a location with a really annoying search path - ⁨x4⁩/⁨X⁩/⁨INTE PLATS FÖR⁩/⁨LIBRARY⁩
I simply want it to be x4/LIBRARY to avoid a lot of clicks in the future.
Is there a way to do that without having to change all the paths in the plug-in that they are imported to which I have started to build a customised library in? Can I trick the plug-in to look in x4/LIBRARY instead of in x4⁩/⁨X⁩/⁨INTE PLATS FÖR⁩/⁨LIBRARY⁩ as it does now?

2 — Since I have my libraries spread out on 3 different portable drives, is it possible to name those drives the same volume name so that if I buy one large desktop drive to have in my studio I can simply have all libraries in one location on that? - x4/LIBRARY that is.
I still want to be able to use the portable ones instead too when I am traveling
Or do I have to make like partitions (not sure this is the right term?) for 3 drives on that to be able to keep the search paths the same?

3 — I have read that you should always have 20 % of your hard drives empty if you use them for work on not only storage, is that true?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Brian33

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I simply want it to be x4/LIBRARY to avoid a lot of clicks in the future.
Is there a way to do that without having to change all the paths in the plug-in that they are imported to
I'm not totally sure I understand, but I think your problem can be solved with symbolic links in the file system (sometimes called soft links). A symbolic link is an entry in the filesystem that (for most purposes) looks like a file or directory itself but actually just "points" to another file (or directory) in a different place. Thus two different filesystem names can point to the same file.

Filesystem symbolic links are similar to Finder Aliases, but there are subtle differences. I think you'll need symbolic links if you want a program to follow them.

In your case, you can make a new symbolic link named 'x4/LIBRARY' that points to 'x4/X/INTE PLATSFÖR⁩/⁨LIBRARY⁩'. Then a program (or Finder) looking into 'x4/LIBRARY' will actually see the contents of the longer path.

However, you have to make the links using the Terminal.app command line. Assuming 'x4' is the volume name, and it gets mounted at '/Volumes' (the default), then the command to make the link would be:

ln -s "/Volumes/x4⁩/⁨X⁩/⁨INTE PLATS FÖR⁩/⁨LIBRARY" "/Volumes/x4/LIBRARY"

(You need the quotes if there is a blank in the path name.) The command 'man ln' will give all the details about the ln command. Now you, or a program can navigate to '/Volumes/x4/LIBRARY' and actually end up in '/Volumes/x4⁩/⁨X⁩/⁨INTE PLATS FÖR⁩/⁨LIBRARY'.

is it possible to name those drives the same volume name
You can give each drive the same volume name, but if they are mounted at the same time they will get different mount point names. For example, if the volume name is x4 and you attache all three drives I think you will get:
/Volumes/x4
/Volumes/x4-1
/Volumes/x4-2

Which is pretty confusing!

I have read that you should always have 20 % of your hard drives empty if you use them for work on not only storage, is that true?
I don't really know, but I could believe that keeping 20% free might improve disk performance.