Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Ok, so one day I downloaded a video for the game Crysis from IGN.com, which was downloaded into my "Downloads" folder. Before watching it, I accidently deleted it, and since I run time machine with my external HDD, i figured rather than redownloading it, I'll just restore it. So I opened time machine, typed the word "crysis" into the search field, then hit the up arrow. It zoomed all the way back to the first day i ran time machine, and didn't even find the file! So i figured maybe TM didn't even back up this file, and decided to not type anything into the search field and just manually look through each backup. Turns out, the file WAS in fact backed up, and was named "crysis_vidreview.wmv" or something, but the word crysis was in the file name so I don't have a clue why it wasn't finding it when I typed in the name of the file to search for it.

Is TM having problems like this for anybody else, or is it just me?

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Did you get the buttons to change the search for File Name instead of Content? As soon as I started typing in the search box these appeared.

Yeah I tried that too, and didn't seem to work; not for that file anyways...

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
I've found that searching back in time really doesn't work. No matter what, clicking the arrow always sends me back to my first backup. However, after I'm all the way back in history if I click forward then the searching appears to work, stopping at each change in the search.

I really think there is a bug in the way Time Machine searches through history. Hopefully it will be corrected soon, until then, just follow my advice above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.