(searched)Surround sound on standard def movies

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by oftheheavens, Sep 15, 2008.

1. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

So i ordered my Apple TV about a week ago an should be getting it today or tomorrow. I noticed something while i was browsing the apple website though, I saw that it said "...or buy the HD version for an extra $ and experience 5.1..." So i did a search but all the threads on this were from january time frame.

So is this the case? can i not watch standard movies with 5.1 surround sound? I ordered this because i was tired of watching all my iTunes purchased movies on my tv (through my macbook) using my bose computer speakers, when i have a 5.1 channel bose surround sound on my HD TV.

Please clear this up for me, thanks.

P.S. can i rip regular movies onto my ATV and have 5.1?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Have a read here. Long and short of it is you can get 5.1 through Dolby Digital only from your SD (DVD) rips using Handbrake, but not from Apple's SD downloads. They are in two-channel, which may (or may not) be in Dolby Pro Logic (up to 5 channel surround).

3. oftheheavens thread starter macrumors 68000

what do you mean by that?

the thread you provided is the thread that i read into. Thanks for your help.