searching external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paulold, Jul 28, 2011.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

I have the latest MacBook Pro, Lion, a Time Capsule (1TB) and a 1TB external hard drive attached to my Time Capsule. I access my external drive via my WiFi network.

The other day I was trying to find a file that I believe is on my external hard drive. I tried to use Spotlight to find it, but no luck. But I didn't trust the search results and started to browse my drive. And that's when I noticed that my Spotlight results were not very good. It appears that Spotlight is not able to find the files on my external drive very well. I tried searching for a file I first confirmed was actually on the drive and Spotlight could not find it. Does this mean I have to fix the index of my external hard drive?

Also, I'm pretty sure the drive is formatted for Mac, but there's a slight chance it was formatted for Fat32 so that it could be compatible with both a Mac and a PC since I used to be a PC user years ago. But I'm pretty sure this drive is not Fat32.

Any ideas? How do I fix the index on the drive?

2. Bishop1j macrumors newbie

finder not searching external hard drive

I'm experiencing the same issue (I have my EHDD via USB plugged into my Airport Extreme), and I'm 100% certain the HDD is Mac OS Journaled formatted.

Prior to upgrading to Lion searches worked fine on the EHDD, anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this or why it might be happening?

3. megsiemac macrumors newbie

megsiemac

Lion finder not searching hard drive

I have the same problem. My hard drive journaled, plugged into my Time capsule, and now with Lion, I cannot search the HD.

4. Gaelinic macrumors regular