Searching file types and move to single folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by scooter2525, Feb 17, 2011.

1. scooter2525 macrumors member

I've decided to change all my RAW files to JPG, but they are scattered all over the hard drive. Is there a way that I can search my HD for .cr2 files and move them to one single folder so I can covert them to JPG? Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sure. Create a folder on your Desktop. Then open a Finder window and do the search, then use Command-A to select all the files, then drag and drop them on the Desktop folder you created. You can then move that folder wherever you like.

3. scooter2525 thread starter macrumors member

Tried that, but it only coppied the files when I did a smart folder search and then drag/drop. I want to move them all together.

4. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

If drag-&-drop copied the items instead of moving them (and assuming you weren't holding the option key down), then the files that were found are either:
    • located on a different disk (i.e., not on the same volume as your desktop, or wherever the target folder was)

or

• located inside of directories for which your user account has no write permission (i.e., you're not allowed to alter the contents of those folders)
    ...or perhaps some combination of the two.

5. mmulin macrumors 6502

Or you go CLI:

find <search dir> -name \*.cr2 -exec mv {} <target dir> \;

6. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Agreed. Except: if (my) case ii is true, then prefix (your) find with sudo.

7. mmulin macrumors 6502

evidently

8. scooter2525 thread starter macrumors member

The files and folder are all on my MBP HD. I'm the admin and they are not locked. I didn't hold the option key.

I draged and dropped, they moved (or coppied) so then I processed a few, deleted them and did a search for the same numbers. Still came up with the same raw files in a different location.

9. Hal Itosis, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

That's not enough. Even if you're the "admin" and even if the files aren't "locked" it might not matter (and apparently it didn't for some). Because neither of those conditions (necessarily) grant you write access to their parent directories... and without that privilege you can't change the contents of those source folders (i.e., can't "move" any files out).

mmulin's command (with a sudo prefix) should work.

To discover what the problem is, list one of the stubborn source folders with ls -alOe

We'd also need to see your id

10. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_6; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.19.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.3 Safari/533.19.4)

Wouldn't holding down the command key while dragging and dropping the files have forced OS X to move them regardless of where the files are ?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, but it's not necessary if all the files are on the same HD, as is the case in this thread. If you drag and drop to a location on the same drive, it moves. If the source and destination are on different drives, it copies. Those default actions can be overridden by keyboard selections.