Searching for 32 Gig

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by secondcup, Jan 30, 2009.

1. secondcup macrumors member

secondcup

I've been looking for a 32 gig Touch for the past few weeks. Sam's Club and WalMart aren't getting them in (admittedly I didn't hit an Apple Store). I wonder if this has any significant meaning in terms of a coming refresh?

sc

2. Bigebee macrumors newbie

None at Sears

Yeah, I redeemed my Discovercard points to buy a 32 gig at Sears. I finally got my cards in today and went to order it and Sears said they have been out since Christmas and don't see anymore coming in for a few weeks. Interesting it looks like there might be a product refresh coming.

3. Bigebee macrumors newbie

Mac Mall Out Too

Just checked MacMall as well and the 32Gig is out of stock there also.

4. syclick macrumors regular

I've noticed a distinct lack of inventory in the stores around here as well (except for the Apple Store, of course). I've been hoping that the shortage means capacity upgrades are around the corner, since I'm holding out for a 64GB Touch.

5. Bigebee macrumors newbie

Inventory confirmed at Best Buy and Apple

I checked some more places this morning and can confirm there are touches available at Best Buy and Apple online. I have to think being a month out of Christmas and this many stores being out, there has to be something coming February.

6. secondcup thread starter macrumors member

secondcup

Just checked Best Buy online and Sears. No 32 gigs at any of the stores here in NH. I think I'll wait before buying. I smell a refresh coming.

7. turbo24 macrumors newbie

Costco has plenty at $336. Bought 16 Gb though wondering I should go back and replace it with 32Gb.

8. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

was it #336 for the 32 gig? I just got mine about a month ago at Costco and it was $377! I wonder if it changes from store to store. I'll have to go back and check and if it is cheaper I'll return under the 3 month warranty and get a new one for cheaper

9. gamer2502 macrumors regular

10. CSilver macrumors 6502

That would be awesome... yet quite crazy cause we all know that won't happen any time soon... Costco in my area only sells 32GB for like 398CAD...
    I really hope Apple updates the Capacity for Ipod Touch so that I will able to afford the 32GB lol
    :mad:Oh besides... how come my Costco doesn't sell 8GB or 16GB?:confused:

11. Bigebee macrumors newbie

Available at Amazon

They appear to be available at Amazon.com for $382.

12. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I had my heart set on getting one from Sam's for the last 6 weeks or so but they were sold out so no dice. Our local Best Buy's were sold out too... watching the online inventory they would get them in and sell out same day. Finally I got lucky and my Sam's Club tracked one down at a store an hour away last week. I hopped in my car and went to pick it up... I got the last one. I do think that something's going on as it's hard to believe they are this scarce as we enter into February.

It'd be great if a higher capacity touch was released in the next few weeks, I'd return mine and pick up a new one as I've already filled mine 3/4 up :)

-Heather

13. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Look on eBay. I got my 32GB 2G for $270 brand new.

14. syclick macrumors regular

More searches in the Sacramento area turned up negative. Low to no inventory anywhere I could find.

15. Bigebee macrumors newbie

Coincidence?

I wonder if this limited data we are collecting is an indication of something bigger, ie increased capacity release in February, or simply the inability of inventory to recover from the holidays? Does anyone know if this happened last year at this time with the Touch? The sales person on the phone from Sears said they showed a new shipments of Ipod Touch coming in 2 weeks. I wonder if we ask them if they have new sku numbers coming in if they would know???

16. secondcup thread starter macrumors member

secondcup

I'd imagine the stores would have recovered by now. Clearly the demand is there, so Apple should have sufficient supply to meet it.

I read in another thread that the 32 Gig was originally introduced in February. The suggestion was that new iPod models are generally released in September, but capacity bumps happen in February.

17. Bigebee macrumors newbie

Very interesting news - 64 gig Touch soon?

Amazon has the 32 gig Ipod touch for $375.95...a price reduction from Friday when I initially checked when it was a few dollars higher. There has to be some significant reason why the price of an item that is in high demand would go DOWN - I suspect this is good news for us holding out for the 64 gig Touch!

18. milkypink macrumors newbie

It's true that the 32GB Touch came out in February of last year (I still have the e-mail saved, actually...) so it's not a huge stretch to think that a 64GB version might appear this month or next, although there's no guarantees.
    The inventory shortage is interesting, but not necessarily indicative of a size increase. Think about this: when the 32GB version appeared, was the 16GB discontinued? It wasn't. So why would there be a significant shortage of 32GBs if there wasn't going to be a major hardware refresh (upgrading storage from 32→64 is not a major hardware change)?
    Logically, we'd see the 8GB models dropping out. It's unusual for Apple to have more than three sizes for iPod devices, right? (In fact, the Touch is the only line to have three size choices right now, actually.)

19. Bigebee macrumors newbie

That's a very good point. I didn't think of that. But, I wonder if the shortage of 32gig right now even backs up your idea. Maybe that will force more users into buying up the quantities left on the 16 and the 8 at the current price points, then they can roll out the new 64 in addition to the 32 and 16 at new lower prices ie 64 comes out at $399 (where 32 is at currently) and so on...

20. Bigebee macrumors newbie

Now I read I can use my Sears gift cards at Kmart...which by the way now shows as having 32 gig Touches in stock. I don't know what to do!!! Hold out a few weeks to see if 64 comes out or just buy the 32? Most of my stuff fits on my old 30 gig Ipod classic anyway, but that was before I started ripping movies. Ugh!

21. OffBrand macrumors member

I'd wait unless your card expires soon. I might have done the same thing, but 32 gigs is plenty for me since I use my player primarily for music, and I can access any videos I might want to see through YouTube.

22. gamer2502 macrumors regular

ya me too i went to the store hoping to get a 32gig ipod touch and all they had were 8 and 16 so i had to settle for the 16:(:apple:

23. Bigebee macrumors newbie

More news

Well, remember when I said the Sears people told me they were sold out and they weren't going to get any in for 2-3 more weeks? Well, I've check several times a day since then and just now (9pm CST), they have more 32Gigs available. Hmm.

So my next question. If I can't just sit back and not order...what would happen if I bought one from sears and then apple releases a 64 gig in a few weeks...and then something were to happen to my 32 gig where I would have to return it...could that happen? :cool: Then just get credit back to get the 64 gig from them?

24. Jethro70 macrumors newbie

I just got in on that deal... shipping was very reasonable, too. I will be in business on Friday. :cool:

25. Bigebee macrumors newbie

Well I broke down and just ordered the 32gig from Kmart with my Sears cards. I guess if the 64 does come out in the next few weeks, I'll try to return it and get the 64. The amazon deal is a great deal on a 32! I paid about $420 including $6 shipping and taxes, ugh!