Searching for an iWeb Replacement

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Aeolius, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Barring a wondrous surprise on January 6th, I am finally giving up on seeing a new version of iWeb.

I have downloaded the demo for RapidWeaver, but I must me missing something. You apparently cannot work in a WYSIWYG environment, nor can you simply edit the size of a photo by dragging on a corner. All of the layouts seem linear. In short, it looks less intuitive that iWeb.

Assuming I never want to touch source code and want to work entirely in a WYSIWYG environment, what other options are there?

2. snouter, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

snouter macrumors 6502a

IMHO, you have to touch source code. Errors and junk and things will happen, even with the best WYSIWYG editors.

Sounds like you want something like Wordpress. Design (or just install) the theme once and then manage the content.

[EDIT] not saying a decent WYSIWYG editor does not exist, but I would still think you need to understand basic HTML - div, span, tables, ul, p, br, etc.

3. Sebct macrumors regular

Try Freeway Pro/Express. Really powerful and easy to use.

I designed my website using it.

SCT - Photography

Seb

4. stevetmq macrumors newbie

ironic you need iWeb.

The hole point of WYSIWYG is that it seperates the creativity from the code. A creative persion should/is/may not be a coder/programmer.

iWeb is not the best but it's the only one I have found and it's being droped??? We need the programmers to make a new better improved iWeb-type thing please!!!

5. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I'd second the vote for Freeway. Lots of flexibility and good support.

6. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

This is an old thread but yet I shall respond. :D

RapidWeaver has my vote. So much so I sprung for the upgrade from v4 to v5.