Searching for Installed Applications?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eleven7, Apr 15, 2009.

1. eleven7 macrumors regular

The other day I noticed an Opera icon on my dock, clicked and not surprisingly, Opera appeared. I have never installed Opera and Im the only one who has ever touched my macbook. I quit out of it, and it disappeared off my dock, which means not only had it installed itself but run all by itself too. So I went straight to my apps folder to find and delete it and it wasn't there. A spotlight search came up with nothing too??

How is this even possible with the permission system of OS X? Any ideas on how to find out if/where it is installed? Does anyone know of any applications it might have come bundled with?

I really don't like the thought of apps being able to install and run themselves.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Do you have Dreamweaver installed? Used to be Opera came bundled, since it is (was) what drives its live preview system. Not sure if that's still the case.

3. eleven7 thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhh no I don't have dreamweaver but reading that I just remembered what I was using when it appeared. I have a funny feeling xTorrent uses it for something. Maybe...will check it out when I get home. Thanks