Searching for iPhone Case that resembles the iPhone itself

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cecoleman, Jan 7, 2010.

1. cecoleman macrumors regular

I've been searching high and low for a case form my 3gs that has the appearance of the iphone itself. I'm not looking for one of those cheap dime-store plastic flaps you can find on eBay, but instead a case that is solid, black, with a chrome rim that covers the chrome on the iphone edge to edge. I have toyed around with those barely there cases and don't like them because I've scratched the chrome rim on my phone sliding it in and out of my pocket. I want a case that covers the all the bevels. Shiny black and chrome is what I want, but honestly I have not seen anything like it. It really amazes me because everyone loves how sleek and stylish the phone is so why don't the case makers emulate the design? The closest things I've seen have been from the shaky overseas sellers where they turn out to be crap.

Anyone out there with me? Or no where to find what I'm looking for?

2. jonxwilliams macrumors member

Hey cecoleman, I've been on a similar search as well. Really I just want a clear case that's thin, but not going to scratch my bezel (any more than they already have... :mad:)

The closest I've seen to what you are looking for is the Griffin Reflect. It's as 2 piece snap-together case that's black (slightly transparent) ont he back and a chrome-like bezel front.

3. cecoleman thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't it amazing that there aren't more cases that look the one you suggested? Or like the iPhone in general? I liked the Reflect case, it looks nice, but as one review of it said, the ends are pretty open and would take a beating if dropped on them. Anyone else know of anything? The fact that there aren't many responses to my thread makes me believe that everyone else is just as stumped over this.

4. gunzmaiet macrumors regular

the reflect is just a shiny/black iclear...
    the only ones with a chrome front that i know of are this and the griffin elan form chrome/graphite (back is not at all like an iphone)

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

What about the Speck See-Through? It's small, thin, and shows the entire phone.

6. cecoleman thread starter macrumors regular

I checked out the Elan from Griffin, but I'm not a fan of the leathery look on the back. I would prefer something smooth and semi-shiney like the actual back of the iPhone.

I also checked out the Speck clear, but I've tried a clear case before and they don't seem particularly sturdy and have the tendency to show the water marking air bubbles. The search continues.

7. cecoleman thread starter macrumors regular

After a long search for a case that resembled the iPhone 3gs itself, I was pointed from this forum to Griffin's Reflect case. I finally broke down and decided on that one. Then I went to ebay and bought a strip of Apple logo reflective stickers and recreated the backing of the iphone on the Griffin's case. It looks awesome and feels awesome. The case itself has a rubbery grip to the backing that makes it easy to grip. The phone itself is also very identifiable now and retains that sexy look while giving me protection and grip. I highly recommend this one everybody, its a nice case!

Here is a gallery that I shot with a bad Sony camera, but you'll get the idea.

http://gallery.me.com/chadcoleman#100027&bgcolor=dkgrey&view=grid

8. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Not bad!

9. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

10. cecoleman thread starter macrumors regular

Per my link above, I found that the Griffin Reflect most resembles the iPhone itself. WIth a an Apple chrome logo on the back its nearly perfect. See my gallery above.