Searching for large files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kat.hayes, Sep 8, 2015.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

When I go to the Storage tab of about this Mac it shows that almost half of my 500GB SSD is taken up by Other files. How can I search my Mac for individual files that are of a certain size, maybe 500MB or larger? Can this be done?

Thanks.

2. brookter1 macrumors member

(In Yosemite -- can't remember if this works in previous releases) try...

In Finder, click on All My Files in the sidebar, then select View > Arrange > Size (ctl-cmd-6), then View > As List (cmd-2).

It should show you all your files, sorted by size and grouped into bands by size (e.g. 100MB to 1GB).

If the individual file sizes aren't being shown, then right-click in the bar above the list (e.g. on 'From 100MB to 1GB') and select Size from the drop-down list.

Hope that helps...

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Here's a small, free app that will very quickly show you which folders/files are consuming the most space (in plain English):
    http://diskwave.barthe.ph

Just launch it.
    You'll see what to do next.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That storage graphic is notoriously messed up, especially on Yosemite. Run the command below in Terminal and that will reindex Spotlight and correct the storage readout. Wait about 30 minutes or so for the reindex to complete, then you should see the Other amount display correctly. It will like get messed up again though.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /

5. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Likewise there is also Disk Inventory X - http://www.derlien.com/
    and which is also free √

Cheers :)

Hugh

6. Aabby macrumors newbie

Aabby

hello, there is an Application in App store, it could search and find your large files in several folders or whole hard driver , and show in a pie chart. It's name is Large File Detector. You can search it in Mac App Store.

7. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

Just use find. Standard *nix utility.

man find

find <path> -type f -size +n[scale]

Example:

find . -type f -size +1G (finds any file in current directory and in all sub-directories with size 1Gigabyte or larger)

8. patternjake macrumors member

patternjake

All My Files > Sort by Size, all the big files will be top of the list.