"Searching for media" - log and capture

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by woofdine, Jun 19, 2008.

1. woofdine macrumors newbie

Dear All,

I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to all the technical stuff, but having to take care of it as we're on travelling while filming and want to back all our tapes up onto an external hard drive. I'm trying to log and capture our filmed tapes from our Sony A1, through my Macbook (not Pro) to a Western Digital 320 GB My Passport Hard Drive. The camera is connected with a Sony i-Link cable and we're using Final Cut Pro 6.0.

When setting the tape to log, each start/stop was creating a new section in the logging bin. Further to this on many clips a number of seconds were missed at the beginning of each shot. When watching the computer as it logged, it would come up with the text "Searching for media" in the capture window every now and then and on further inspection, it was at these points that we were losing footage.

So I've tried logging the tape as a whole by unchecking the "Create new clip on Start/Stop" box in Clip Settings (which oddly involved checking the box and capturing, then re-unchecking the box and capturing) and all seemed well. That was until we came back and found a number of different sections again, but this time less than there were before and each break at the points at which it had began "searching for media", so we still lost the same seconds of footage.

This to me sounds like the same problem you get from time code breaks, but I can't see why we'd have them (the tapes don't come out of the camera until completed, nor do we view shots taken until logging) or why it would affect every tape. The only way around it I can see is by logging each shot manually, but I'm not even sure if that would work and it would take a tonne of time to sort out. Do you have any ideas as to how to just log and capture the whole of each tape? Is there anything we might be doing wrong to be creating these breaks? I've done a google of the internet just then and it sounds like some people have been having a similar problem with a JVC camera, but haven't found anything on the Sony A1 as of yet.

Apologies if the email is a bit overly comprehensive, just thought it best to make the problem clear, or as clear as possible.

Hope you can help!

Cheers,
    Woody

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

It does sound like either timecode break or dropped frames (the result of bad tape?). If you have the facilities to do so, try dubbing to a new tape, regenerating timecode, and log from that tape.