Searching for that special combination MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by CochlearArch, Jul 14, 2014.

1. CochlearArch macrumors newbie

hello I am the deaf. I need a portable machine to store my rehab programs that incule audio books ebooks and such. I am also into photography. Mostly the nephews hunting and fishing. I am looking for the right combination.

11 or 13 inch MBA
    4 gig of ram or 8 gig
    1.4 ghz or 1.7 ghz
    storage 128 or 258

I want to stay bellow 1,200 bills. The lower the better. Which options are must haves for my stated purposes. I do have an iMAC that the MBA can be hooked up to with a lot of storage.

What say you?

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

11 vs 13 is completely a personal preference. You mentioned you have an iMac, is this MBA going to be just for travel or for use away from home? If so, the 11 inch offers better portability. The 13 is still portable if you prefer a larger display. Also you stated you will use it for photos so the SD slot in the 13 inch may be better for you.

I would recommend the base model configuration for your needs. The 4GB of ram will be more than enough for your usage. If you are looking to ultimately use your iMac for storage, then the 128SSD will allow you to save some money.

I would also recommend you looking at the refurbished section on Apple's website. They are like new and come with the same warranty as a new machine, while saving you a decent chunk of money.

The 2013 and 2014 MBA are essentially the same machine. Don't hesitate to get the 2013 refurb model.

The 11 inch can be had for as low as 719
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...nch-macbook-air-13ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

The 13 can be had for as low as 799
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...nch-macbook-air-13ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

3. CochlearArch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I have a USB card reader for the Mac I can use for the 11 inch.

What about the processor. 1.4 or 1.7?

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Base processor is more than enough for you. The 2014 will have a 1.4, and the 2013 will have a 1.3. Remember that they offer turbo boost if needed and can perform much higher than their base clock speed.

5. CochlearArch thread starter macrumors newbie