Searching for threads with polls

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ozaz, Oct 9, 2011.

1. ozaz macrumors 65816

Is it possible to restrict a search so the results only contain threads that have polls?

Is it possible to browse just threads with polls?

2. andalusia, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2011

andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

This works pretty well.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

The problem with that (at least, when I try it) is it only seems to find threads where the creator has explicitly written the word "poll" in the title. It does not find the threads that have the poll prefix but do not have the word poll in the title that was specified by the creator. It seems there needs to be a way to search for the poll prefix.

A related question. Is there a way to get notified of all new threads that contain polls?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There is... tristangage just demonstrated how you find the "Poll:" prefix.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, the search showed only gets results for threads with 'Poll' included in the thread title. Try it yourself?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Uh, look at the image tristangage posted. The "Poll:" (non-hyperlinked prefix) results are clearly shown. I just tried it myself; a search for "Poll:" brings up all the threads with the "Poll:" prefix as well as the thread titles containing "Poll."

Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding what a prefix is??

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Ah yes, that's true. I'm not sure of a way to search for the poll prefix then, and can't really look properly right now as I'm out, sorry about that.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They are attempting to search for all threads containing polls, not just those which include the word "Poll" in the thread title. There doesn't seem to be a way of getting results based only on the poll prefix.

9. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Having "poll:" within and at the start of the thread title is not the prefix we are referring to and it does not unequivocally define the thread as a thread which contains a poll.

All threads with polls have a "poll:" prefix automatically added before the title by MacRumors in the same way that sticky threads have the "sticky:" prefix before the title. In the search results displayed above, the first thread "poll: 4S purchase poll" would not be found by the search if the creator had not included the word "poll" at the end of the title because the prefix poll: is not actually part of the title.

Here is an example of a poll which will not come up in a title search for poll:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1243361

10. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Just wondering if site admins ever gave any thought to this topic?

I notice in the advanced search there are options to find threads with certain prefixes but these are limited to threads with the prefixes "price advice" and "resolved".

I think it would be helpful if the prefixes "poll" and possibly "sticky" could be added to these options.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm not sure if the admins have seen this.

I've forwarded a link to this thread to them and I'll post any updates here.