Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Upgraded to Lion. Now when I search for something in finder, say an mp3, finder returns with a list of files that are from my mail accounts. How do I make it not search old mail files. But make searching in Mail return old mail files.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Upgraded to Lion. Now when I search for something in finder, say an mp3, finder returns with a list of files that are from my mail accounts. How do I make it not search old mail files. But make searching in Mail return old mail files.
You can restrict your search to certain folders, certain file types, etc.

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
what if i search for files or mp3 or anything regularly in finder. but don't want it to return files from mail...?

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
im searching in finder...and it returns mail results. thats the problem.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
im searching in finder...and it returns mail results. thats the problem.
As I said, don't search your entire drive. Start your search from another folder, such as Documents or your user folder:
ScreenCap 2.PNG

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
i figured out the problem. It has something to do with mail. When I deleted my mail account from the mail application. The returned results are what I want when searching. But for some reason Mail is creating a folder with every attachment I've ever sent. & those get included in the search. how do i change that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.