searching in Leopard (please help)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Laco, May 4, 2008.

1. Laco macrumors 6502

these are very newbie questions so I'm really sorry but they would greatly improve my mac experiance.

1. when i search for files i want to change the top bar so i can sort things by size. For example i have the following on top "Name", "Kind" and "Last Opened"...i really really really really want to take out Last Opened and replace it with "Created" and insert "size" so i can sort files in this way. This has been bothering me for months and i haven't still being able to figure out how to do it....i would deeply appreciate your help...this may seem silly to you but it would help me greatly. Thanks a lot.

2. I would also like to know if there is an easy way to show the contents of all files and folders within a directory. For example lets say i have a folder called "my home work" and i have three folders in it with various names and all of these have files in it....is there a way to see all the files in this "my home work" directory including all the contents of all three folders it contains?

thank you so much this would greatly improve my mac experiance.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

1. I assume you are using Spotlight searching and clicked on "show all results" which will open a Finder Spotlight Window. On the tool bar where it shows "kind", click on that and select "other". This will open an attribute window, where you can select the attributes you want (just check them off, like "size" for example". Click ok. You can also add additional search criteria by clicking the + icon which will add a new row for additional criteria. Play with it and you'll understand.

2. Use "list" view in the finder window. You can click on the disclosure triangles and see everything in one window.

3. Laco thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you so much for your help. Ive tried doing both but I'm still very confused about the first . The problem is that when i click on the toolbar nothing happens. if i double click nothing happens and if i right click nothing happens. However, iIf i click and then hold down the left click i can move the categories around which i never knew i could do. So i can move "kind" left or right. But not matter where i click on that toolbar and i tried clicking everywhere i can't change these attributes no matter what. I feel like this must be very obvious and Im baffled why i can't see.

haha i don't know why its so confusing every few weeks it bothers me and than i just get irritated because it never works haha.

thank you so much for your help!

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

On the tool bar, to the extreme right you will see a "Save" button. To the right of that is a "+" button. Click that and it will add a new line for search criteria. Then follow my instructions from #1 in my previous post.

5. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

With finder in list view press Command+J and check the coloumns you want.

6. Laco thread starter macrumors 6502

why does it tell me this? "There are no view options for the "Searching "Laco"" window".

7. Laco thread starter macrumors 6502

i finally understand this haha...i found that thing and i put a check mark next to the categories i wanted but when i close that box these new categories don't appear at the top...haha....its funny ive started complaining to my girlfriend about this now haha

8. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

I see "Name," "Kind," and "Last Opened" in the bar. What if I want to sort the search results based on the file size instead of name, kind, or last opened?

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

This is a problem in the Leopard full spotlight search window. There aren't any options, like in normal windows, to add other columns like size.

This drives me nuts. I'd like to at least be able to have size listed. I realize I can search for it....but I'd like to be able to add the column.

-Kevin

10. Laco thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you! this is what i wanted to do! i thought you could do it because you can in windows....i thought i was going crazy trying to do it but it wasn't working

wow...that's too bad that's one thing that needs to be in the next version of mas os x.

11. popay macrumors newbie

by SIZE

Looking for this too...
    Present in panther since first window, accessible from tiger by clicking icon list, and totally desapearded in leopard!
    crazy! damn'd insane i'll heaven say!