Searching the App Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapple, May 17, 2010.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I'm trying to search the App Store from iTunes, and the search just seems to suck.

First of all, whenever I type a word into the search box, it shows me results from all categories. I have to click on Apps in the "Filter by media type" section to have it only display Apps.

Then it seems to show the apps in some random order. I see no way to sort. How do I see only the free apps? How about letting me sort from lowest price to highest? How about letting me see the highest rated ones at the top? Any way to do that???

And it doesn't even show you the rating on the results page like the iPhone does. You have to click on the app to go to the app's description page and then you can see the rating. Sucks to have to click on each app to find out that info.

And the iPhone has Top 25 lists... I don't see anything like that in iTunes?

2. maus macrumors regular

This was my rather frustrating experience as well when I tried searching for apps. They really should make it easier so that non-iphone owners who are thinking of purchasing an iphone will know what apps are available.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I agree the App Store can use some adjustments. You have to remember that, besides little enhancements, this was the same App Store that only had 1000 apps in it at a time. Now that number is over 200,000 and growing.

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I always go to appshopper.com when searching/browsing for apps. They update to let you know when there are price increases or drops. Top 100 paid/free apps, organized by categories, etc.. If I find something I like, it'll link me to the itunes appstore app. (Have to have itunes running on the computer youre browsing appshopper with). Pretty helpful.

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

They need to do a sort by rating or something similar.

6. maus macrumors regular

The least they could do is provide a list of categories for browsing. Or maybe they do and I just haven't found a way to access a list of them yet...

7. koikoi macrumors newbie

appexplorer.com

Try http://www.appexplorer.com/

The site has very good searching and filtering and allows you to register for new app and price alerts.