Searching?!?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by irishgrizzly, Sep 7, 2007.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

When I do a Apple+F search in finder and want to search across the network in the office I get this window each time to select the machines to search;

[​IMG]

It's anoying to have to select them all each time (I work as a designer and do a lot of image searches). In 10.3.9 I only had to select "everywhere" from a dropdown list and it would search, well, everywhere! Is there a easy way to do this in tiger?

Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't understand... are you letting OS X spotlight-index these drives? If so, stop using Apple-F and use the spotlight menu or a spotlight window (you shouldn't have to select where to search, although you can delimit where to search).... If not, hmmm, I'm not sure, sorry. :(

3. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I don't think spotlight can search other machines across a network, can it? When I look in the options it only gives me 3;

change order of results
    change keyboard shortcuts
    and set certin folders as privite

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050430233117572

If the mdutil indexing succeeds, it should be a one time affair, and then you should be good to go, I think?

5. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Thanks mkrishnan, but I'm not experienced or comfortable with mucking around with OS code. I'm more of the click-this-check-box-and-then-never-worry-about-it-again school :)

6. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Anyone body else find a way round this? I do 50+ image searches a day across our network and am sick of clicking each box multiple times to do it :(

7. Edot macrumors 6502

Smart Folder

Can't you make a smart folder for your searches and then simply click the folder to perform the search instead of using the find menu? I'm pretty sure this is what you want. Unless you are doing a different search each time. Either way the smart folder should at least save what servers you have selected, so you don't have to select them each time. Try it out and post back whether smart folders solve the problem. They can be found in the File menu in the Finder. Also, you can create a Smart Folder anytime you want by clicking the save box when you are performing a search via Command + f.