"Searching..."

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cwake17, Jul 5, 2009.

1. cwake17 macrumors newbie

Does anyone get this a lot? My phone goes to "Searching..." fairly often lately and even in my own bedroom... where I usually have 5 bars. In fact it will be searching for several minutes then suddenly go to full signal. What gives?

2. mct74 macrumors member

Started getting intermittent single bar coverage in my house where I used to have 5 bars recently. At first I thought it was my new 3Gs (never noticed the issue with my 3G), but then I check my wife's 3G and it was exhibiting similar behavior. I am wondering if the 3.0 update caused a change in the way the antenna functions to save battery. Of course, if yours is "searching", one would think that would use more battery, so there goes that theory...

I did notice that once I started using the phone for a call or download, the bars would return to 5 rather quickly once data started transmitting. Hence the reason I thought it was a new "sleep mode" for the antenna...

Just found this as well:

http://www.macworld.com/article/141405/2009/06/iphone3gs_signalstrength.html

Not sure if you are on a 3Gs or not, but having numerical reading of signal strength is pretty cool...