"Searching..."

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rdstoll, Jul 12, 2010.

1. rdstoll macrumors 6502

I swear the next time I see this message on the top left corner of my iPhone 4 I'm going to blow. Seriously. The 3GS with AT&T was not great shakes in terms of getting good coverage but I knew where the dead spots were around the places I go and could count on reduced coverage in those areas. With the iPhone 4 it's like a free-for-all. I can have the phone sitting right in front of me and the signal strength varies from five bars of 3G to two bars of Edge to the aforementioned "Searching...."

I've never seen an iPhone "Searching..." as much as this one.

2. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I've never seen any iPhone (including the iPhone 4) say "searching" where I live. Sounds like your in a bad coverage area to me.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

Happened to me yesterday and I REALLY needed to use my GPS, ASAP because I was approaching a corner and I wasn't sure to turn left or right. Luckily, I guess right. Ugh.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

GPS doesn't use the cellular network.

5. Dsking85 macrumors member

the maps that your GPS position is overlayed on does.

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

Well, I needed to use my GPS Current Location to map me to the location that I was currently at.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Also, the GPS is assisted by the network in triangulating your position to find satellites faster.

8. HOiYA macrumors member

Actually I am more shocked that you were trying to use GPS on the IP4 while you were driving!

9. nfl46 macrumors 603

Lol. I text, talk and use the GPS while driving. Its possible.

10. Polo5 macrumors regular

I'm guilty about this as well, been trying to stop this habit :eek:

OP sound like a pain what you are going trough, maybe is time for you to go into "searching" mode and get a new phone... sorry that you are experiencing this problem :S

11. HOiYA macrumors member

I'm sure it is possible.... just illegal in most states.

12. spades1412 macrumors 6502

When would be a good time to use your GPS then? I usually don't have a need for GPS unless I'm driving.

13. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

This. I find gps comes in handy when driving.

Generally I don't need gps in my bedroom. :)

14. HOiYA macrumors member

It's the whole notion of using your phone while driving. If you use a GPS, then your destination should be already entered and not being punched in as you are driving. I've just seen too many bad drivers swerving all over the road as they are texting/calling.

15. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

It's also possible to arrive safely after drinking yourself silly. That doesn't mean it isn't stupid, reckless, or illegal, though.

16. Dsking85 macrumors member

from myself and all motorcycle drivers of the world... **** you.

17. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

You must not live where I live. My phone constantly goes from that to No Service. It just means ATT hates us.

18. HOiYA macrumors member

Ok folks, I apologize for hijacking this thread.

Back the original topic....

I seem to have signal strength problem only with the IP4. I place both the IP4 and 3GS on a counter side by side. The IP4 gets nothing where as the 3GS has 4-5 bars. This baffles me. The genius at Apple said that this is possible as the 2 devices might have joined differed cell towers. Is this BS?

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

OMG! Never! Only use the GPS while walking around!!

:)

20. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

If I don't have the phone in its Bumper case, it often goes to "Searching ..." or "No Service" when I'm in my bedroom. My 3G and 3GS never did - not once - in more than two years. :mad:

I'm glad Consumer Reports told the truth on this design flaw and I hope more media outlets run with the story. I think that's the only possible way we'll see a fix from Apple, if one is even possible.

21. Malig macrumors member

Mine goes from 0 bars to 3 or 4 to 0 randomly it seems. I don't recall my original iPhone having so much trouble.

22. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502