Sears files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by maflynn, Oct 15, 2018.

1. jtara macrumors 68000

What's Sears? ;)

So, actually, I bought appliances at the Sears Appliance Outlet a couple years ago. Got a great deal. GE Range and Kenmore microwave. (I think matched kitchen sets are overrated - I would rather choose each item on its individual merits. To complete the ensemble, Bosch dishwasher and Fisher & Paykel fridge, both of which were shipped from New Jersey to San Diego at great cost saving vs buying locally...)

I don't think I've seen the inside of an actual Sears store since the 1980's when I bought some Craftsman tools to work on my car. The last Craftsman tools I bought I got at Ace Hardware. They had a great sale on them at Christmas last year.

My grandparents lived "in the country", and shopped out of the Sears, "Monkey Wards", "JC Pen-nay", and Spiegel catalogs. And "Mr. Cook" (Cook Coffee Company) came by once a month with samples and the previous month's order of coffee and cleaning supplies. (Mr. Cook even got Timmy's head out of the knothole. Timmy was a cat...) There was a Sears catalog center "in town" (Milford, Mi.) where you could see samples of some products, and pick up your order.

It wasn't really much different than today's online shopping, save for a couple days additional delay for the letter with your order form to get there. Of course, in the city, you went to your local big department store. (Which had their own delivery trucks.... My mother used to shop at J.L. Hudson's pantry department, and the poor deliver guy would drop off boxes of canned goods on our porch.)

It's kinda strange we've come back around 360 degrees and now we are catalog-shopping again. All these companies that started in the catalog business went wild opening retail stores, and somehow never got the second memo. They got the memo first time around, pivoting from catalog to brick and mortar chains, but let Amazon creep back into their original (actually, second? I think they were all originally brick-and-mortar department stores, but not chains) business model while they weren't looking.

Here in San Diego, our downtown shopping mall (Horton Plaza) is a shambles, and is going to be converted into mixed-use, with co-working space of course. It's an embarrassment, downtown tourists have to hop on the trolley and go to the Mission Valley characterless shopping malls (build a mall in a flood zone, and they will come - when it isn't raining, which at least is seldom - go figure...) - which are - however - still doing great business.

Let's hope we can get ahead of the demise of personal cars and figure out what to do with all the garage space. Next will be what to do with all that co-working space. ;)

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I agree on the great deals at Sears Outlet, a few dents are fine.

3. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Back when I was a kid, I remember Sears pretty well, dad used them a lot. Long story short my dad used to work on his own vehicles to save money and as a hobby. One time he broke a Craftsman wrench. Told me to take the broken wrench without receipt and ride my bike to Sears and get another one. I asked him for the money, but he said you don't need any, lifetime warranty. Just take it to the register in the tools area. Didn't believe him, but sure enough I rode my bike to Sears, went to the register, pulled out the broken wrench and told the guy my dad needs another one. He said ok, took the broken one, threw it in a box, then pulled out another box and gave me a used one in good condition. I was like wow! Those days are probably long gone.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

As far as I know they still honor that guarantee. However if you have an old fashioned ratchet, they would replace it with a rebuilt standard one with cheaper plastic parts.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This one actually kinda hurts, because Sears was basically our childhood go-to store in the 80s.

We didn't have a Toys'R'Us. The closest one to Omaha was Oklahoma City. We didn't have Children's Palace; closest one for that was Kansas City. At the time, Target's toy department was similar to that of a Walgreen's; slim to none. KMart had a toy department, but was limited to mainly baby and toddler toys. Not what you're looking for as an 8 year old.

So Sears was it, and had everything: Hot Wheels, Matchbox, He-Man, Transformers.. hell, even Go-Bots! Robotech, Voltron, Barbie, She-Ra, Rainbow Brite, Cabbage Patch, Care Bears, the entire lot. Plus had the video games for Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, and Nintendo.. and more than that, had them on display to play!

I can't tell you how many of the toys I still have to this day were bought from that Sears at the Crossroads Mall in Omaha. I'm going to have to try to make it through there one last time before they close.

BL.

6. millerj123 macrumors 65816

I think the last time I was in a Sears was three years ago buying a refrigerator. Even then the store was a mess with empty areas. No surprise they are dying.

7. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I almost got a Mac form Sears many years ago when they had a relationship with Apple, the salesman tried to talk me out of it. I told him that I had been a Mac user forever and walked out the door and got me a indigo iBook G3 from the Alaska Mac Store back in like 1999 or sometime around that. Don’t think I ever went back to that store.

8. smorrissey macrumors 65816

Its a pity here in Mexico we still have to carry with this dead franchises like Sears and Radio Shack, even a TowerRecords still in Puebla.

Blockbuster is gone for good.

9. jtara macrumors 68000

Yea, but you have:

- 7-Seas
    - Radios Shack
    - Sears & Roobuck
    - TownerRecords
    - BlinkBuster

OK, the only one of these I've actually seen is "7 Seas". The logo looked exactly like 7-11. (In Ensenada.)

A store in San Diego was sued by Saks Fifth Avenue. It was a resale shop, on Fifth Avenue. "Sacks Fifth Avenue". Saks Fifth Avenue won.

10. smorrissey macrumors 65816

I don't know about Ensenada but in Mexico City and country in general you can only find:

- Radio Shack which is awfully expensive and almost nobody buys there.
    - Sears, this store has ALWAYS been expensive.
    - 1 Blockbuster
    - and many 7 elevens...

and that's all...

11. Costino1 macrumors 6502a

Costino1

Looks like the final nail in the coffin happened today and all remaining SHLD stores will close.

I worked there as a manager of home improvement from 2004-2010 and I could see the decline right in front of me. Lesser inventory, removing lightbulbs to save $$ (made some areas look like a cave,) lowering the heat/AC, slashing payroll to a skeleton crew, removing cash registers....I can continue but I digress.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Looks likes Sears is back on life support again.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I saw that in 2000 when I worked there. They cut back on the xmas decorations. I worked in what the company considered a pilot store. They tried the new gimmicks on the store. I worked in the hardware department and they tried this stupid branding called "Tool Territory". It was supposed to be a how to section with demos. The whole store got remodeled, I don't think they ever took the design national as the store saw another redesign. I remember when they took out the furniture department, That was once a staple of Sears. I found out years later that they fired long term employees with no goodbyes. The company has been in trouble for about 20 years now and just limped along on the past with no vision for the future.

14. Costino1 macrumors 6502a

Costino1

I remember that Tool Territory as well, (funny I was typing that and mistakenly typed Tool Terrible...Freudian Slip.) Yeah Sears never sticks with a marketing campaign. They try to do something new and if they don't see instant success, they immediately disband it and move onto the next future failure.

They followed the Circuit City plan as well with getting rid of their top producers and cutting commissions to nothing and hiring kids for $6/hr and minimal commission %s unless you sold the PA agreements.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Oh those damn PPP's, the managers would always be on me for not selling enough of them. I would say, well the customers are not stupid and I'm not going to force it on them if we want to keep customers. They didn't like that answer.

16. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

It feels like they're barely hanging on and it's obvious they fell short in the online marketplace. As others have stated, we have to feel for those losing their jobs but there is a ton of retail work still available in today's job market for those who want it. It won't be long before the plug is pulled either way.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Sears could get 100 billion dollars pumped into it and it would still fail. The company has no leadership and no vision for the future.

18. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

It seems like many of the big retailers feel behind to the online world, the only real exception is Walmart, even though I don't know that I would put them into the same category. That said, they are making a play against Amazon with seemingly some success.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Walmart seems to have gotten into the online space and done a decent job at it. Amazon is taking the next step and using Whole Foods as a delivery service.

20. Costino1 macrumors 6502a

Costino1

I was a manager. I know we had to put pressure onto the associates, but we got even more pressure from District management, regional management, and so forth. Just whipped daily.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That seemed to be all the company cared about and I think it really left a lot of distrust in the customers.

22. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

These brick and mortar stores were too slow to react to the changing times. Plus like Jeff Bezos said, big companies usually last 3-4 decades before going away/bankrupt.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Young'uns. :p

Try having the toy department be on the bottom floor near the closest entrance to the standalone Sears Automotive Center, where you had what they called the "Sears Financial Network", consisting of Allstate Insurance, Dean Witter (Reynolds) investments, and Coldwell Banker. And keep in mind that they started Discover Financial, which utilizes the Discover card.

Their goal, which they did do, was to go up against Merrill Lynch, and they outlasted them. It just pissed me off that they took out a row of toys to put in the extra office space at one of our local stores to do so. I loved seeing that stacked shelf of Transformers, Voltron, and Robotech! :mad::D

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/02/12/business/shaping-a-sears-financial-empire.html

BL.

24. Zenithal macrumors 603

The only reason Target and Walmart are still around today is because they evolved whereas competitors didn't. Read about either company and you'll be mesmerized about their logistics and the data they record and analyze.

25. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Some years ago in my area a Lord & Taylor moved out of its freestanding building which was adjacent to a reasonably decent-sized outdoor mall across the road from it. Sears eventually moved into that building..... Well, to make a long story short, Sears really never quite succeeded in that location and because at right around the same time that they were setting up shop there, one or two major retailers were moving out of the mall across the mall, too; inevitably, shopping patterns changed. Suddenly, after years of having been a shopping destination, that particular shopping area no longer held interest for many people within the ten-or-fifteen mile geographic area. As time went on, demographics changed more and more, too. Target and Walmart both set up stores that were convenient to residents of that immediate area as well. It is not surprising that for this and any number of other reasons Sears just couldn't make it work any longer.

Occasionally I still go down to that still-extant shopping area, which isn't all that far from where I live, to stop in at the mall to have a look around at the Barnes & Noble bookshop, but I have no doubt that one of these days that it, too, will be shuttered for good and staff and goods moved elsewhere...... Frankly, I'm surprised it has hung in there as long as it has already. Well, when it does succumb, no big deal, I'll just travel a few extra miles to the big, major and rather upscale shopping center in our region that has a very large and thriving B&N.......