Sears Tractor: rebuild 10 yr engine or buy new??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mtbdudex, Sep 13, 2010.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I bought my 48" deck 20hp V-twin Kholer motor Sears tractor in 2000, it's needed minor stuff here and there.
    I've done the maintenance per season, etc. Now @ 10 years old major decision time.

Today driving it I heard a "crank" noise and then the engine ran real rough, immediately I knew it was major.
    Pulled the LH plug wire, engine would not run, pulled the RH wire, engine ran but rough.

In the garage I pulled both plugs out and confirmed my fears, RH piston rod is broke, on LH piston moves up/down as expected, because it ran on just LH cylinder..

Options:
    a) Major engine rebuild - DIY by me, I've done this type of engine work before - kinda fun, and owners manual shows exploded view, that's all I need
    or
    b) Buy new tractor and sell this one for parts

If I buy new I'm looking at 26hp 54" Garden tractor, Sears or other brand.

Thought from the guys who own tractors gallery? Remember, 10 yrs old.
    I JUST bought new blades and both deck belts this summer, about $100 in parts total......
    [​IMG]

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What would a replacement cost? If you can do it yourself and have the time, I say repair it.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How much can you get if you sell it for parts?
    How much would an engine rebuild take?

How much is a new one? Which one is less costly? Does cost matter? I bet it does otherwise you would not ponder what to do. Sure, the project is fun but buying new is also fun. Is the time + money on a rebuild saving you enough to warrant not buying new? Yes = do it, no = buy new and get cracking on mowing.

4. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I'd need to do engine teardown, see what really broke.
    Whats hard to assess if other parts may be fatigued and on the verge of breaking also...
    yea, this is therapy, I'm 95% leaning towards buying new and selling this for parts....maybe I could get $150....since $100 are brand new anyway (with 8 mowings on them)

and I so wanted to buy a new lens for my Canon T1i, either a 100-400L or the newly announced 70-300L....

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Well a new tractor is would certainly cost you a good amount—I'd imagine it would come down to how much you think your time is worth vs how much a new tractor would cost.

I find a certain satisfaction in using things that I've repaired and rebuilt, and the work involved can be kind of meditative and a nice escape, though it can become extremely frustrating if you find bigger problems along the way.