"Season Pass" almost same price as the game itself?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I was browsing a little through the PSN store and was kind of shocked at how ridiculously expensive it has become to buy a "complete" game these days.

- Game itself: €69
    - "Season Pass": €49

What in the hell?? So if you want to buy a new game with all its contents, it will run you over 100 bucks? Does anyone actually spend this kind of money on one game? This seemed to be all the major franchises, too (COD, Battlefield, AssCreed...).

2. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Generally no, I rather buy late and get the whole thing for ~ €30 (BF3 last year). Problem is you can't compete on the schoolyard / forums.

But I did spend a ridiculous amount of money on Injustice DLCs. That was me a warning though. Payed minimum €120 for the game + DLC! Madness. Good game though :D

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Call of Duty: £50
    DLC map packs (how many do they release, 4 packs per game?): £15 each

Borderlands 2 new at launch on Steam: £30
    Season Pass: £15 (didn't include characters or microtransaction DLC released in the season timeframe)
    Season Pass 2: £unannounced

Personally the cost of all this content is second to season passes not including all the content in a completely undefined "season". It's basically at the whim of the publisher as to what content will be included. I just don't buy games that do that any more. I get all my Call of Duties a couple of years later for £5 second hand, and Gearbox have well and truly earned a place on my "Never Buy" list. It's a business practice I don't want to see become standard so I'm voting with my wallet.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

In fairness compared to how much €€€ I've spent on Skylanders Swap Force figures and adventure/battle packs alone, 100 bucks seems like a bargain :p;):eek::(:eek:

For those gamers that spend majority of their time on 1 game, I guess 100 bucks isn't too much if your spending 100+ hours on a game.....

I think we folks who buy sh**itloads of games on different formats each year are likely to be just as a minority if not more so.

5. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Agreed! People like you are 100% responsible for this mess! :p

Dagless, €5 is nice and all that, but one can't expect the MP still going strong at that point. The main reason why CODsBFs sell so well year after year I guess.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL. Sad but true ;-) :p

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've had no problem getting multiplayer games on older COD titles, but I'm mostly into it for the single player. In a world of 50-100 hour epics it's quite nice to just play an 8 hour game!

8. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Nice way to put it! Most complain about those brief campaigns.
    But I'm in the same boat actually, although that's on PC. I know that for the Wii U what little is happening right now with Ghosts online (1500 max right now) it would be a very intimate scene two years later. Not necessarily a bad thing though. The Ghosts hardcore mode is actually the only one I like to play and that's like 50-70 people right now. worldwide! We're a happy family though ;)

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's like that in Half Life 2 Deathmatch at the moment. Quiet and great. You tend to know those playing and you can adjust and strategise to that. Whether or not you'll get that in something a little more limiting (part of the reason HL2: DM is still played is the wonderful stuff you can do with the gravity gun!).

10. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I've missed the whole half-life hype personally, but have an idea what it was like. There are even people out there still playing Quake I guess. I started playing CS at a friends house back then but those games tend to become rather tough competition quiet fast (and quiet boring if one doesn't put too much time into it).

That's the flaw in your 5€ method I'd say - although meant more in a general way and not specifically for you personally: if you buy into a game that late, and alas! games tend to get 'old' really fast these times, I guess you'll find mostly cracks still playing it online which can make it quiet frustrating to discover at first. Still better - and worth it if the game is good - than paying year after year the same ol' rehash after rehash with countless DLC which are an inevitable part of the whole circus nowadays.

Still mad those COD:G Dlcs won't come to the U tho! :mad: :D

11. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

I'll never buy a season pass... And every game these days will get a "game of the year" edition about 8 months since the initial release woth all the possible dlc anyway. And it's usually cheaper to buy the GOTY edition than it would be to buy all the dlc, even if you have the game already!

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I always thought a good way (for consumers at least) to do it is at launch;

-Sell the standard version for the usual price.
    -Sell a "complete" version that will eventually get all the DLC (additional content, microtransactions etc). Replace the current Limited Editions with this version.
    -Sell an after-sale Season Pass that guarantees all the DLC released in the next 12 months or for the life of the game.

What does that get you? A crazy mad scramble to get the Complete version at launch, lots of people bypassing reviews and ignoring bad previews.

13. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Yay I'm a hipster :D

True.

And dislike the whole season-pass/DLC scenario.. either for iOS (In-app purchases), Nintendo eShop or PSN. I just don't dig it.
    I'd rather get a new game than paying for extra stuff. Some DLCs might be good but I'm never paying for costumes or extra characters no matter how good the game is. And a couple extra maps: Forget about it.