season pass questions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2010mini, Jan 13, 2014.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Hello all,

The wife and I have been toying with the idea of cutting the cord. We live in an area that has abundant free OTA tv signals. So that would fill the void as far as live network tv is concerned.

I also have netflix, hulu and Amazon prime to catch up on any missed shows as well as movies.

The only thing we do not know about is the average costs of iTunes season passes for premium network shows like, Boardwalk Empire, Homeland... Etc.

Right now we basically have fios for hbo and Cinemax. Of which we really follow about 5 shows between the two. And depending on the costs of season passes for those shows. We would determine if cutting the cord makes a difference.

TIA

2. linds15 macrumors 6502a

hbo shows are not offered as a season pass. showtime, fx and amc do, and the price is the same as buying a full season, so check on itunes the shows you watch, and figure around the price of the last season, unless they add or subtract from the episode count

3. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

So season passes are not discounted in any way? Like for a limited time before the new season starts?

That's disappointing......:(

4. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Sales happen... when they happen. In my experience from tacking prices (admittedly anecdotal), it seems like a season pass is rarely discounted, and that a full-season price is typically only discounted a while after the season is released.

In essence, you pay a premium (of no discounts) for being current, or as close to it as possible, and might be able to get things at a discount if you're willing to wait.

5. linds15 macrumors 6502a

can always buy itunes credits when they go on sale which if quite often

6. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Interesting..... Gives me more to consider. I see that the cost of HBO series are about $47. And Showtime series are cheaper.

Any hbo/Showtime season pass holders on here? Can you chime in on your experiences?

----------

Ok I have heard of this before. But I do not know when/where these go on sale.

Is there a website or mailing list out there that lets people know when iTunes gift cards go on sale?

7. linds15 macrumors 6502a

hbo doesn't do season pass. doesn't go up onto itunes until its out on blu-ray, which usually isnt until around the start of the following season. GoT season 3 doesnt release for another month, and the fourth season starts a month and a half later.

ive seen the sales on blogs like idb and 9to5, im sure there is a coupon site that has a more detailed and frequent list than just when walmart, target and bb do the sales

8. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

really?!?? No season passes for HBO shows? That just stupid! So if I cut the cord I have to either wait a year to purchase it or pirate it?

Good going hollywood..... that's the way to combat piracy. I would gladly pay a premium for a season pass for certain shows.

9. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

My guess is HBOGO will offer subscription rate in the near future.

10. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

HBO just doesn't get it. AMC does it perfect.

I'm just waiting for WWE Network to launch next month, which in my mind, is the true future of television. $10 a month includes 24/7 live programming and on demand content. No cable or satellite provider required.

11. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

Definitely cut the cord. Believe it or not you'll be happier in the end. We cut about 2.5 years ago now. You just won't miss all the stuff you're not paying for. You'll probably watch a little less TV, and you'll prioritize the shows you really like.

Also, maybe you pick just your top 2 premium shows to keep up with on iTunes, and just lag a season on the others, watching them when the blu-rays show up on Netflix. That's what we do. We purchased Breaking Bad, but lag a season on anything else (e.g., Homeland). It's not as bad as it sounds. It's a different world now, and tons of people are binge watching shows a year later. So it's not too hard to avoid spoilers these days.

----------

In recent times, the leaders of Netflix have repeatedly stated their goal: "We want to become HBO before HBO becomes us!"

If HBO offered its shows streaming online WITHOUT the need for a cable subscription, they'd essentially be like Netflix without the Blu-rays/DVDs. Meanwhile Netflix is having some success with making its own shows, so it is (IMHO) surpassing HBO in terms of what it provides.

12. JackieInCo macrumors 601

They are offered often. Sometimes you have to wait till midway through the season for a discount though.

I bought every season of Parks and Recreation half way through last season for $19.99 for HD per season including that current season.

They also did this with Psych a few years ago. I had bought every season including the current season at the time for $14.99, HD versions. I kind of lost interest in the show since and haven't watched since then.

Sometimes you just have to hold out to get good deals.

I have also never paid more than $10 for any of the nearly 300 HD movies I have bought. I hold out till they go on sale and place the movies into my wish list and check it every week.

Haven't paid for cable or satellite in two years and it's still cheaper buying on iTunes per month.

13. Rigby macrumors 601

As was already mentioned, HBO doesn't sell season passes. But they sometimes sell older seasons at a steep discount.

In my experience season passes are almost always a little cheaper then the sum of the individual episodes. For example, the Homeland season 2 season pass was $30, whereas buying the 12 episodes individually costs $36.

I also use discounted iTunes gift cards. Every few months there are offers to get them for 20% off, so in the end I paid e.g. ~$24 for Homeland. You can save a little more buy getting the SD versions, which still look good on moderately sized screens and are plenty good for watching on an iPad.

If, like me, you watch only a few selected shows, it is a lot less expensive than a cable subscription.

14. vtstarck macrumors regular

I think I saw this posted above and wanted to clarify, while it is correct HBO doesn't offer a season pass, most of the networks that do (AMC, FX, etc.) offer the season pass at a slight discount over buying the episodes individually. You can also buy a few episodes of the show individually to try it, and then complete the season pass later.

For example,

10 episodes at $2.99/episode = $29.90 to buy individually
    Season pass may be $25.99

You can buy 1, 2, 3, .... episodes of the show individually at $2.99 each, and then complete the season pass. So if you bought two episodes and really liked the show, your season pass price would be $25.99 - ($2.99 x 2) = $20.01.

You would see a "Complete My Season Pass" button after buying a few episodes.

15. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks.

Now if I could find out when/where to get discounted itunes gift cards.......

16. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Sometimes the complete my season pass disappears. I had that happen with the last season of Ghost Adventures. I think it was offered at $14.99 and half way through, I was going to complete the season but it was gone. I had no choice but to buy each episode which ended up costing over $40.

Buy the season pass as soon as you can.