Seasoning a humidor?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mexbearpig, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

My older brother likes smoking cigars. So for Christmas we are getting him a humidor with a few cigars. It came with instructions on how to prepare it to store cigars. I followed the instructions that say put a damp sponge with the humidifier in there for 12 hours, take out the sponge and then leave it for 12 hours. That's it.

But on other sites it says you should do this for 2-3 days while others say a day. Has anyone ever seasoned a humidor before? I'd rather not ruin the cigars by putting them in to early.

2. wilk0076 macrumors member

wilk0076

The humidor should have a hygrometer inside it -- once you've followed the instructions for this particular humidor, just check the hygrometer every other day or so and make certain the humidity is level.

As for the cigars, as long as the humidity is steady, they'll be just fine for xmas morning stogin'.

Put the cigars in there as soon as you have them - they're better off in the humidor than in whatever else you may be storing them in.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do nothing. Allow the recipient to do it. It's his gift after all.

4. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Back when I smoked I had a really cheap humidor. The friend that gave me the humidor told me to soak it in distilled water for a few minutes. After the soaking was done I added a package of humidor crystals.

5. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

They were both purchased at the same time. For now the are in the humidor. I'll check on them daily to make sure they are still good. Thanks.
    I'd rather have it all ready for him to use. Thanks though.
    This was the cheapest humidor they were selling :eek:. And what are humidor crystals? I know they have the little packets you just drop in that last for a while. But I didn't want to pay extra:eek:.