Seattle + 3G = misery.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Dec 7, 2009.

1. WilliamG macrumors 604

Lately it's just gotten worse and worse with AT&T here in downtown Seattle, WA. I don't know what is going on with AT&T, but I really hope they get their act together. I'm tired of hitting the dial button on my phone with full service (apparently), and hearing those 3 tones indicating my call didn't go through. It's been bad all day here!!! I switch off 3G and all my calls connect instantly. I'm sticking with Edge today.

GAHH!!! AT&T.. you suck!

2. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

this is why i'm holding off on buying the iphone. so far i've been using the ipod touch to make calls on skype. when there is competition, i'll buy!

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Odd I work at downtown too and 3G coverage is good on my end. You might want to call AT&T and ask for a signal reception boost, they will ask you to turn off your iPhone then turn it back on and you will get a system message from AT&T, this might help.

4. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

I'm in the Belltown area, and it's so sporadic. Some days it's great, and other days it's terrible. Other people in my apartment block with 3GSs complain of the same thing when I bring it up. And we have full signal here.

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I think it has to do with AT&T's weak signal when it comes to penetrating buildings.

6. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Even though I'm right by a window with 5 bars 3G? Heck, it didn't even work when I was outside today on the way home in the car!

7. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I'm by downtown near Westlake, I'm using just an iPhone 3G and our office is somehow inside the building but I get good reception. I get dropped calls though on Lakecity, which is annoying. I already reported it using that Mark that spot app that AT&T released.

8. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Uh oh. I'm heading home for the holidays. Is it really that bad? My family house in Northgate has always had terrible reception but I always thought it was fine everywhere else.

Is it a signal thing or is it overloaded networks?

9. iPhoneStore.com macrumors newbie

I know it is somewhat of a long shot, but this happened to me a few months ago... someone bought one of those Chinese crap cell phone jammers, had it installed in their car and never turned it off. Problem was, it wasn't programmed correctly so all it would do is jam 3G, but the Edge network still came in perfectly. But, if it is happening while you are in the car as well, I doubt it's a jammer. Try bringing it to the Genius Bar and see what they think, can't hurt!

10. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Could be tower saturation.
    Sure you see 5 bars, but the tower(s) could simply have too many users on it.
    I would contact AT&T about it regardless.

11. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Northgate (just a little bit north of Seattle) actually has a pretty good AT&T 3G reception, so don't worry about it.