Seattle resident with Tiger Restore Discs for Aluminum iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattbray, Apr 11, 2008.

1. mattbray macrumors member

I'm running a 20" 2.4GHZ Aluminum iMac and want to go back to Tiger but I have lost my discs in my move from Tampa. Apple wants me to either pay $50 for phone support or purchase AppleCare before they will ship me replacement discs. I know for a fact that the discs that come with the 24" 2.4GHZ Aluminum model will also work. I had to use them on my boss's iMac before I left. If anyone would be willing to let me use their discs for a day or so I would really appreciate it. I live in the Ravenna/U-District area but can hop a bus to pretty much anywhere.

Thanks a lot.
    -Matt

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You are asking the forum members to break the EULA by sharing install disks, that's a no no. If all Apple is asking for is $50.00 for phone support and they will ship you replacement discs I think that's quite generous of them seeing as Tiger is no longer available.

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

No longer available? It was NEVER available. That doesn't sound very generous. Apple gets credit where it is due, but their penchant for orphaning the OS the day the next box ships is not praiseworthy, so considering they have NEVER sold Tiger/intel at retail, Matt deserves some sympathy, not a Steve Jobs backhand slap.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Uh, I shoulda specified the retail version of Tiger being PPC, not Intel however since you have plenty of sympathy for the OP then help him out and ship him backup copies of Tiger on Intel.

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I would [loan] if I could. He is legally licensed to use the software. The only reason to defend Apple in this situation is that you think they deserve $50 for making it impossible to use other available copies of OS X on a computer so that they can charge you for losing your discs. While that may be their business practice, no criminal law could find me guilty for loaning Matt a copy of the same software he is legally licensed for.

6. mattbray thread starter macrumors member

Pssh

Sorry I wasn't able to respond right away but you guys got right at the comment about licensing. If anything, Apple should cut me a check for the $100+ dollars I spent on Leopard because if (using the second "point" update) I can't connect wirelessly (reliably) to the internet or open the dvd player without a kernel panic I would say they have failed on a massive ***** level. I might reinstall Leopard on my iMac around 10.5.6 but this has been ridiculous.

I'm going to go ahead and order the AppleCare (I always order it before the first year runs out...) and have them send me the discs. This experience brings up another point: Apple needs to extend their telephone support for a full year. It's retarded that the support staff wouldn't help me because my 90 days of telephone support had run out.

If there's one thing Steve Jobs should take away from this experience is that you shouldn't try push out two major releases (Leopard and the iPhone) at the same time.