Second AirPort not working over Ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nermal, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hi everyone :)

I've just moved into a new house, and the room with my computer is far away from where the phone line comes in. I've hooked up my modem and kept its default settings (so it acts as a DHCP server) and have plugged it into an AirPort Extreme (WAN port). The AE is set to bridge mode, and I can access the Internet and my modem control panel wirelessly using it.

I've put a second AE next to my computer and have configured it to join the existing network. It gets an IP address and I can still connect wirelessly (I can't say for certain whether I'm connecting to that particular base, but the signal strength is excellent).

The problem is when I bring Ethernet into the mix. When I connect either my Mac or my Xbox to the Ethernet ports on the second base (either WAN or LAN), I get no connectivity (no IP address, so it's obviously not seeing the DHCP server). I can't even see the base in AirPort Utility when connected via Ethernet.

The ports are "known good", as I had the base working at my old house (although as a primary base, rather than the second in line). I can't see any options to enable or disable the ports, but I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Unless otherwise noted, all settings are at the defaults (I reset both bases before setting up the new network here). If you need any more info, let me know :)

2. vorkorsigan macrumors member

1st question is easier. If you go into the Airport utility and look and logs and stats from the advanced menu, select wireless clients and you will see what is connected and at what speed to an airport.

Not sure about the 2nd but are you extending the network or using WDS?

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

"Wireless mode: Join a wireless network"

I can't make sense of the logs right now but I'll have a better look at them when I have a bit more time.

Edit: I took another look. The first base (the one connected directly to the modem) has a tab that shows connected clients: My computer, my iPod, and the second base. The second base doesn't even have that tab in the AirPort Utility.

Edit 2: I changed it to WDS and all is well :D

4. vorkorsigan macrumors member

In WDS you just have one network and anything connecting will not care from which AEBS.

Happy to help

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Thanks for your help, but apparently I spoke too soon. Although WDS fixed the particular issue I was having, my latency now fluctuates wildly and has made WoW unplayable. In the meantime I can hard-wire the Xbox (I found a 15 m cable) but don't want to have cables traipsed everywhere in the long run.

6. vorkorsigan macrumors member

Sorry, no idea about this, If your settings are the same as before the move when they worked I don't know why not so good now. Have you checked the connection speed relaibilty? Use www.speedtest.net to check.

7. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Before the move, the Xbox was wired. So I know that the equipment all worked, but there's something about the current configuration that either WoW or the Xbox doesn't like (depending on whether I use WDS or not).

I don't have broadband yet (it was supposed to go in on Friday, so hopefully I'll get it on Monday) so a speed test won't really prove much.

8. vorkorsigan macrumors member