Second Ati 3870 and STILL noisy!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mandwa, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mandwa macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, long time browser, first time poster!

I just got a replacement Ati radeon 3870 because the first cards fans didn't run at all for a minute or so and would then spin up full for 30 seconds or so and so forth, regardless of what i was doing.

My replacement card came today but this cards fan runs full all of the time!!!!????????

Surely this is a driver or fan control issue or something, my previous nvidia 8800GT was silent all of the time, but alas I could not play Call of Duty 2 with that card hence the switch.

Is there anything i can do to help cool the card besides fitting aftermarket fans which i don't feel confident doing and they don't seem to support the 3870 100%. Maybe open up the PCI slots or upping the Mac Pros fans via SMC Fan Control?

Or do i return it and switch back to a 8800gt and forfit Call Of Duty 2 or wait and switch it for a 4870?

I'm going to try and live with the fan noise tonight but does anyone own a quiet 3870?

For the record I'm running a 2008 2.8GHZ 4-Core Mac Pro with 8Gb of Ram and 10.5.6. I tried a clean install on a new hard drive and the card behaved the same. Also reset Pram etc. Thanks :)

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

This huge thread covers the topic: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=541289

Some are quiet, others are noisy. The 8800GT is whisper quiet always, I like it a lot more, but I do know what you mean about Call of Duty 2 (after seeing how unplayable the demo was I've decided to find the Windows version).