Second AW (Aluminum) for workouts???

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by swandy, Aug 18, 2018.

1. swandy macrumors 6502

For those who initially got a Stainless Steel AW, did you get (or seriously consider getting) a second Aluminum AW for working out?
    I had the Series 0 SS AW and when we moved to our current residence - which has lovely outdoor/indoor pools - I decided it was time for a waterproof AW and got a Series 2 Space Gray. (BTW the SS Series 0 was replaced by Apple with a Series 2 SS which I am selling now in advance of the Series 4 coming out.)
    Now seriously considering upgrading to the upcoming Series 4 - mainly for the LTE and from what looks like a larger viewing area - and debating whether to just get a Space Black SS Series 4 and use that for exercising also (primarily fast walking, bike riding and some swimming and gym workouts).
    Just curious - I realize that the SS is a bit (though not much) heavier and the Aluminum - if others felt the same and got an aluminum AW to go along with a SS model.

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Honestly, I haven't been able to justify spending the money on 1 Apple Watch much less 2

3. Relentless Power, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Stainless steel is actually much heavier over the aluminum model, 40% to be exact. But I don’t think it’s abnormal to want to have the aluminum model for working out the gym as a secondary device, some other forum members do what you’re considering as well. I do think though with the stainless in the gym, you do have the protection from the Sapphire display, which can be an asset.

Also I had multiple Apple Watches for different occasions as well, but I stopped wearing my Apple Watch in the gym, because of hitting it on the weights and against machines.

4. swandy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. But then why bother replying to the thread? Specifically was looking for responses from people who have.

5. GRT89521 macrumors member

GRT89521

I have a series 2 ceramic for day to day and a series 3 cellular aluminum for the gym/workouts/sleeping. I’d probably be okay just using the ceramic all the time but with the extra watch I also have the ability to track my sleeping since I always have a charged watch.

6. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Lol, why even bother responding?

7. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Is saying he’s clearly Tr1ing

8. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Maybe get a Sport band and call it a day?

Then you can use those $ 300 for something else. Maybe some movie tickets and expensive theater popcorn.

9. JackieInCo Suspended

There is really no difference in the weight of the SS once you are actually wearing it. I have three series 3 watches, a Stainless steel, silver aluminum and a Nike+. I bought the silver aluminum first and within a week, bought the SS. I cycle through them weekly, When one needs charging, I put on another. During the summer months, I noticed the band tends to bother me the most as in interacts with sweat and that's my biggest concern.

10. swandy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Two questions if you don’t mind.
    (1) Why the Nike+ if you had an Aluminum? What’s the difference besides the band it comes with?
    (2) Are your watches the cellular models? I have Verizon and was wondering if they charge you to add each watch even though you are not going to wear two at a time.
    Thanks.

11. JackieInCo Suspended

They're also different cases. The Nike+ is space gray. They are all also LTE models because I wanted the sapphire display.

I have T-Mobile and it costs only $10 per month for the watch to be activated. I have only one watch activated BUT if I switch watches one day and want to switch the LTE service to another watch, it's so easy to do with the watch app and takes less then a minute to do.

12. swandy thread starter macrumors 6502

That’s good know about switching between LTE models. Have to check that out. Thanks.

13. Jay-Jacob macrumors regular

Jay-Jacob

In bold part of your quote. I thought all aluminium and Nike+ version will be Ion-X Glass display for GPS only and cellular too. Only SS get sapphire glass display.

14. JackieInCo Suspended

You are correct, I just checked.

15. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

I had a SS for work and Sport for the gym when I had the Series 2. Have only purchased a single Series 3 though.

16. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

I have 2 watches... both are aluminum however.... An original series 0 SG, then a few months later I picked up the rose gold. I ordered a SS 4 and plan to add a SG aluminum cuz I'm spoiled after these past few years of wearing a watch 24/7 and don't want to go back to having to charge it overnight. I'll use the SG for workouts and yard work, housework, sleeping and the SS will be daily ware, at work, shopping, etc....

17. darthbane2k macrumors 6502a

Pointless and excessive. All you need is a decent sports band. That’s the beauty of the Apple Watch, it’s versatile and there are suitable bands for all occasions

18. mjr1000 macrumors regular

Would you/do you wear a silver SS in the gym? Does the case hold up? Do people look at you funny?

19. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I’d personally say save that money for other gadgets. I’ve worn different SS (silver, black, and now gold) to the gym most days over the years since the Apple Watch came out and it’s fine. The weight isn’t really a factor and like others said, just put on a fitting sports band or loop and it’ll look the part (not that anyone else would care anyways). I haven’t scratched or shattered anything yet so far :)

20. md2433 macrumors newbie

md2433

S0 - In box
    S2 - Working On Car/yard/gym use
    S3 - Sleep Track
    S4 - Day-To-Day

All AL, All like new & All Loved

21. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

my AW4 40mm aluminum is definitely heavier than my prev. AW3 38mm aluminum.
    I can see how OP can feel AW4 SS's extra weight compared to AW3 aluminum...

I vote for getting a used AW3 aluminum on craigslist.

22. Bosechris macrumors member

Bosechris

Hello.

Are you using protection for your aluminum watches ?

I want to buy an Applewatch 4, but I am afraid to spoil the watch or the screen.

Thank you.

23. caelius macrumors 6502

caelius

Never actually thought about using my old AW as a separate (and always charged) sleep tracker. Huh. Great idea, thanks. :)

24. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

I’ve kept my S0 SS for a few reasons. First, it’s not worth much on the used market. Second, it bridges me between selling my S2 or whatever just *before* the next series is announced, and the arrival of that next series. So I’m never without an AW.

This time around I have a SS S4 with a very nice band (Hermes). I thought about using the S0 for workouts but swapping bands is so easy, and the S4 so vastly superior IMO, that I just swap bands.

As someone above posted, I’d save the $ from a second watch and just get another band or two. The weight difference is negligible in practice IMO.

25. md2433 macrumors newbie

md2433

No protection at all. Just wife & I Just Try To Be careful always! All four watches look new “Body & Screen”