Second bad 500gb hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Platypusman99, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Platypusman99 macrumors member

I just ordered a third new internal hard drive for my 17" Unibody MBP. The first 500gb drive I tried, Seagate Momentus 7200.4, died after just over one month of service so I replaced it with the slower Hitachi version and it started sounding like an old coffee grinder after less than two months. I don't recall hard drives having this many problems in the past and it is frustrating to say the least.

The folks at Newegg do not support the products they sell after 30-days so I am going to have to duke it out with the manufacturers of both drives. Meanwhile, I am curious what kinds of luck other people are having with hard drive upgrades in their MBP's.

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Scorpio Blue 320GB, soon two years old, still going great.

3. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I use a 500GB Blue.

It clicks like a mofo but it's been a solid upgrade so far.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I have had good experience with Western Digital's the Scropio Blue I have is quiet and works like a charm.

I have the WDC WD50 00BEVT-00ZAT0 model....it was a replacement for a 00BEVT-00A0RT0 that would only work internally and not on powered enclosures.

But luckily the Western Digital RMA is hassle free.
    you just goto their RMA website, enter your serial and easy as that (did mine on Sunday got the drive tuesday) and no issues with the new one.

5. Platypusman99 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. I ordered a Scorpio myself and it should arrive in the next day or two.

Once I get the warranties figured out with the manufacturers it looks like I might have a couple spare 500GB hard drives now at any rate.

6. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I have a family member who deals with huge numbers of components daily and says there is a noticeable increase in DOA and rapidly failing drives/displays/etc. Quality is slipping folks.

7. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I have 4 500GB Scorpio Blues ... I have had one fail that was in an early 2008 17" MBP. WD replaced it without any hassle. I strongly recommend getting one of the 3rd party disk "doctor" programs that supports low level surface scanning. Also ... backup, backup, backup!!!! (I lost about 3 days work when the one scorpio drive failed!!!)

8. brenden macrumors regular

brenden

500gig blue for past 1.5 months works perfect havent had any issues. Quiet and quick!

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is it at all possible your MBP is causing the issue of your multiple drive failures?

10. Platypusman99 thread starter macrumors member

Mea culpa - it is a fan!!!

After a successful transplant of a new 640GB Scorpio I discovered that the problem was merely a dying fan on the left side. I installed iStat and it confirmed the problem. I should have checked that out first but I guess a part of me wanted to get a bigger hard drive anyway.

Now I have an appointment with the local Genius Bar and expect that my extended service plan will cover the fan replacement. The noise is unbelievable.

Sorry about the confusion.