Second Display Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by smacman, Nov 7, 2010.

1. smacman macrumors 6502

I am currently shopping for a second display to compliment my 30" ACD. Ideally I would just buy another one, but I can't stomach paying so much for a now discontinued product. Does anyone have any suggestions? I use my Mac Pro primarily for light photo editing and running engineering simulations. Color accuracy is nice, but not absolutely critical.

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Are you looking for another 30"? You could check out Dell's U3011. Panel quality should be pretty similar. I'm sure there are plenty of reviews comparing the two (or Dell's older 30" displays).

3. smacman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Currently I am trying to decide between the 27" ACD, Dell U2711, and Dell U3011. Currently the U2711 seems to be the best bang for the buck. Anyone here using one?

4. Pili macrumors regular

Regardless of brand or size, I would try to at least stick to a monitor with the same pixel density as your current ACD. I use a hand me down 22" with a higher density every now and then, in addition to my 24" dell, and the alignment of the two monitors drives me crazy. The curser doesn't act linearly across the screens and windows are different sizes. Granted, it's not a major issue that inhibits workflow but it's definitely something to consider.

-Pili

5. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

Honestly, I'd just buy the second 30" (and I did). There's one refurb on the apple store online right now. Discontinued, outdated, true, but you'll have a 3 year warranty on it (w/ AC) and you know these things are workhorses.

I still think the ACD 30 is a great monitor outdated as it is. Especially for photo work. I use two of them every day for 8-12 hours and I don't look forward to the day when they will need replacement.

The 27" ACD is a nice piece of kit, but I just couldn't deal with the glossy. The Dells are really great monitors too. But for my workflow, I preferred having two more closely matched monitors.

6. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Completely agree with this. Ideally, you'd have two matching monitors, but if you have a good hardware calibrator, you should be able to color match two different displays pretty easily. From what I've read, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three you listed (or another 30" ACD). Keep Pili's recommendation in mind though.

7. smacman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice guys. Just ordered a 27" ACD on impulse. Will report back.

8. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Congrats. You're gonna have a very nice setup.

9. w00tini macrumors 6502a

im running two of them... they will not disappoint! enjoy it