Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kimwnorfolk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2016
I have a new MBP. What's the best way to add a second display screen? Thanks.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Wow, not a lot of info there like type of screen (TV or computer monitor, computer monitor always best unless it's a second screen just for media consumption).

It will also depend on what resolution screen, if it's a 4K then you are best off using the thunderbolt port with a mini DP 1.2 cable to display port. If it's anything else then why not just use an HDMI cable it will make little difference.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's no best way, but rather, only ways, you have two choices

Buy a monitor, plug it into the TB port (which is also mini display port compatible), short of that, use the HDMI .

kimwnorfolk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2016
Wow, not a lot of info there like type of screen (TV or computer monitor, computer monitor always best unless it's a second screen just for media consumption).

It will also depend on what resolution screen, if it's a 4K then you are best off using the thunderbolt port with a mini DP 1.2 cable to display port. If it's anything else then why not just use an HDMI cable it will make little difference.

I'm interested in a computer monitor so I can use two screens at once. Probably a 17 or 19 inch monitor with good resolution, doesn't have to be great. Will any monitor with Thunderbolt or USB work or do some work better with the MBP? My MBP is two months old. Thanks.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I'm interested in a computer monitor so I can use two screens at once. Probably a 17 or 19 inch monitor with good resolution, doesn't have to be great. Will any monitor with Thunderbolt or USB work or do some work better with the MBP? My MBP is two months old. Thanks.

They should all work just fine, at that size 1080p is great so I'd just go with that, get one with an HDMI input and just use a HDMI cable.

You can of course use mini display port cables to connect using the thunderbolt ports if you'd rather but there is no need.

I would avoid USB if you can it's not the best way to connect a screen by any means.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
You can find a 27" Apple cinema display for $300 or more used - I say get one of those.

kimwnorfolk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2016
They should all work just fine, at that size 1080p is great so I'd just go with that, get one with an HDMI input and just use a HDMI cable.

You can of course use mini display port cables to connect using the thunderbolt ports if you'd rather but there is no need.

I would avoid USB if you can it's not the best way to connect a screen by any means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.