Second Display Dead After 10.5.7 Update - Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lukewind, May 13, 2009.

1. lukewind macrumors newbie

After what was a slow and eventually stalled update I finally got the system running again. But I booted up today and ten minutes into work my second monitor cut out. I am afraid to reboot because others have had their displays disappear.

I have major thunderstorms headed my way in the next 3 hours and I need to find out how to uninstall the update before they get here.

I am somewhat new to Mac and this is the first update for me so how do I do this?

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Major second screen issues with 10.5.7 after upgrading. Seems so after searching net.

Just connected my mac to my external screen and it's missing its native res. Whatever res and refresh it's on now is giving me a major headache!

How long until Apple usually fixes these things??

3. lukewind thread starter macrumors newbie

I feel kind stupid, but I put in 12GB of Ram yesterday and of course I had to disconnect everything. I checked my connections and it was a little loose so I screwed it on more. By the time I got back around to the front of my Mac the display was back. So it was just a funny coincidence I guess. Having seen all the people complaining about monitor issues I thought the timing could not be a coincidence.

Apple should have this fixed pretty quick. Maybe by Friday.

4. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Thanks for reporting back. It's nice to know that at least some problems might just be coincidences.

5. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

My second screen is working just fine I did the update over an hour ago perhaps it is a hardware issue specific to your architecture.

6. sputacus macrumors regular

Same here...external screen is working fine after doing update.

7. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Think we've worked out that because my 24" LG has an HDMI input, my MacBook thinks it is a TV and therefore makes the max res 1920x1080... when in fact it's a monitor which has been doing 1920x1200 happily since day 1!

I hope Apple fix this asap.

8. tinycg macrumors member

Fixed my issues

10.5.7 seems to have fixed my second monitor issue dealing with the mini-displayport to dvi in sleep on a none ACD monitor. Updated graphics drivers it feels like too.

Very very happy now with my less than a week old Mac Pro.

I'd suggest looking into SwitchResX or something similar just saw a post of someone with a Mini that had the same problem with his plugged into a TV, he had to setup a custom res and that fixed the issue.