Second Display or Telephoto Lens?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by powerhouse7, Mar 27, 2010.

1. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

Hi,
    I've got a 27" iMac i7 with an ATI Radeon HD 4850 Graphics Card.
    I've saved up enough money to either buy a 24" Apple Cinema Display for a second display, or a 70-200mm Nikkor Lens.
    I've already got a 24-70mm and a 14-24mm lens.

Given the same situation, which would you buy and why?

Any advice would be appreciated

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Well, what's more useful to you at the moment? Can you make more money with another lens in your kit? Or work faster and better with a second monitor. Odds are you'll have both at some point, so I guess the question is more about what should you get first...

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That depends on what you need.

Do you need more screen real estate or better zoom capabilities?

4. powerhouse7 thread starter macrumors regular

well - I don't need a telephoto lens yet, but I expect to need one within the next few years. And previously, when I had a 20" imac I used a 20" second display and loved it. But now that i've got a 27" display, I'm not sure I need a second screen.

Basically, Both products have equal value, so I really don't have a clue what to do. I think overall, a second display will serve me better - because I do design and Media stuff as well, but a really want that lens. Ahhh, I don't know.

5. tchockey macrumors member

hi
    what camera do you have, I have the d90 and use the 55-200mm vr great and won't break the bank, get one used for under 200.00 and get refurb 24" cinema 599.00. great combo and best of both worlds.

rockwell loves the 55-200vr
    hope that helps

6. powerhouse7 thread starter macrumors regular

I've got a Nikon D700, which is a full format camera which means lenses start at 1200 kinda range.
    But it hadn't crossed my mind to think refurb screens (and come to think of it, old lenses made for film cameras possibly?)
    Will I get the same quality if I get a refurb display? I havn't done any research into getting one.
    Thanks vm.

7. tchockey macrumors member

hi
    people people have bought refurbs and seem to love them.
    mickey

8. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Are you hung up on having the Apple logo on your display? If you spring for another brand -- Samsung, HP, Dell? -- you'll be able to get an equivalent display and save some money. Maybe you'll be able to get both the monitor and the lens...

9. iSax1234 macrumors regular

So you have a d700 so I'm going to assume you are a professional photographer? or just an enthusiast. Either way if I were you I would expand my focal lengths before I bought a second monitor especially when you are working on a 27 in now. As state earlier there are other good monitors out there. Now they might not look as good (not picture quality but the outside) but there are great other monitors.