Second display v.need recent picks

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheKnifeFight, Nov 28, 2010.

1. TheKnifeFight macrumors member

Preface: Yes, I've searched, but most threads contain old models. I'd greatly appreciate anyones help on this as I'm not too familiar with the latest offerings.

I would like to pick up a new display for my macbook pro. Something in the 22"-27" range.

Use:
    Web browsing, some image and video editing. Not a gamer.

Features:
    Somewhat compliments the computer. Good image quality.

Budget:
    My budget is roughly ~$350. So obviously I can't afford the 27" Apple display.

What models should I consider? I'd prefer to sacrifice size in favor of better quality. I'm under the gun for picking something up so any quick responses are greatly appreciated.

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

The Dell U2311h is probably the best reviewed monitor in that price range right now. For a little more, you can get the HP ZR24w (~$425 on their site). You can read reviews around on the Dell. It's a great display for the price.

3. firstadopter macrumors newbie

I have HP ZR22W which fits your needs/price and like it very much. Just be sure you get a IPS panel.

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

That's another great suggestion. Currently, Dell has a deal for the U2311h bringing it to a similar price as the ZR22w, but if you shop around you can definitely get the HP for less as its MSRP is lower. Dell also has a U2211h that competes directly with the ZR22w. I don't know how the two compare, so you'd need to do some more research. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of these models.

5. amusiccale macrumors 6502

If you're looking for something a little smaller than 23/24", the U2211h is really a very nice screen. I picked one up ~ black friday and have been using it for the last day or so and have been very impressed. Side to side viewing angles are ever so slightly narrower than some other IPS displays (typical IPS contrast shift at steep angles), but for a 'budget' monitor, there's no comparison. Colors look great for a monitor in this price range, and it sounds like the Rev. A00 issues that TFTCentral ran into are mostly solved in the A01 I have. Black depth and detail have changed a lot since the 5 year old monitor it replaced..