Second drive won't initialize

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by flyingscott, Oct 12, 2008.

1. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

So, I was creating a boot camp partition on my second drive. Worked just fine, no problem.

Then I decided I wanted to go bigger... so I deleted that partition so I could make a new larger one. When I did that, my second drive disappeared. I rebooted... got the message disk failed to initialize.

I went into disk utility to try and repair the drive and got this:

[​IMG]

No dice... Is there a way to get this drive back??? I had a lot of info on there I really don't want to loose.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Have you tried:
    1. Reboot
    2. Verify
    3. Repair?

This may do it, and it's simple. ;)
    Easier than reformatting the drive and losing all data. :eek:
    Especially if you don't have to. :D :p

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

4. flyingscott thread starter macrumors regular

flyingscott

The screenshot shot above is the message during a verify and repair

5. flyingscott thread starter macrumors regular

flyingscott

hundred bucks blown... disk warrior thinks it's a windows disk

[​IMG]

Boot camp really hosed this disk... any other suggestions on getting the data back?

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

You could try to put the partition back. It may work, as I've been able to do this before (windows though), and reclaimed data.

Otherwise, you'd have to send the drive out to a recovery service. Usually very expensive. :eek: You could try to locate a decent recovery SW package. Perhaps another member could point you in the right direction, as I've not used one in eons (~15yrs). :eek:

If you're unable to do any of these, I hate to say it, but it looks like you'd have to bite the bullet and reformat, losing all data lost in the process. :mad: Sorry. :(

7. flyingscott thread starter macrumors regular

flyingscott

Yeah, it's not the end of the world... but if there was a way to get it back, I'd like too... certainly nothing critical enough to send to a recovery service.

I know one thing, I just bought another drive for boot camp... done with partitions. Drives are too cheap for this amount of hassle.:p

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Understandable. ;)
    As mentioned earlier, you could google for a recovery software app. I'm not sure what they would run, and wouldn't be surprised over sticker shock. HDD's are likely much cheaper, but the search may be worth it before sacrificing your data.
    Lessons learned the hard way aren't easily forgotten though. ;) :p