Second DVD drive always shows bad blocks

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Analog Kid, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I'm trying to install a second DVD reader into an early 2008 Mac Pro. It's an IDE interface.

I've tried two drives now, a LiteOn iHAP422 and a Pioneer DVR-A18M. I've tried setting the jumper to CS and Slave.

In all cases, when I mount a DVD in FairMount, it shows 900+ bad sectors. The same DVDs show no bad sectors in the existing SuperDrive (Optiarc something) or an external USB mounted drive.

Anybody have any ideas what's going on here? Thanks.

2. Analog Kid thread starter macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I think I may have figured this out. I assumed it had something to do with having two IDE drives competing for resources, so I pulled the second drive, disassembled the Mac Pro, and made use of those hidden SATA ports behind the fan cowling.

Same problem.

Looking at the console, I noticed a ton of css errors coming out of Fairmount. It dawned on me that maybe the drive needed its region set before it would play nice. Sure enough, open a disc in DVD player, set the region, close DVD player and everything is back up to speed.

It is not entirely clear to me why I need to set the region on a drive before I strip the CSS and back up the DVD, but it does seem to be a necessary step.