Second full HD crash while using SL 10.6/10.6.1

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Maven1975, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

What is going on with this OS?!!!

I have had the HD completely crash to a point that it was not recoverable. It completely destroys category b and a full reinstall is the only way to fix it.

The first time it happened I was emptying the trash. The second time it happened, I was using unrarx. Each time, the computer beach balled and eventually restarted. I get a bar at the bottom of the boot screen, then it goes away and sits stuck at the gray screen.

I have used Disk Warrior and booting under single user mode without luck.

Is anyone else having issues with this?

13" MBP 2.53 with 4gb ram, 128gb OCZ Vertex SSD.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you serious? sure it is SL? I have three machines and *knock on wood* things are good.

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

4. Maven1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have attached the permission/drive errors to this post. Luckily, I was able to get it to boot.

Anyone else out there with SSD or drive issues like this?

Attached Files:

5. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

What you appear to have is filesystem corruption, which most commonly happens with either a failing drive or an improper shutdown. I think this is likely a failing SSD - if you could test another drive in the same machine, or test this same drive in another machine, you may be able to confirm if it is or isn't a hardware failure.

6. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

Your drive or controller is definitely failing. I'd contact OCZ and see what they say.

7. Maven1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

After further investigation it looks like there is a recommended firmware update for this OCZ drive.

However, All three of my Mac's are reporting the same error when verifying permissions. Check your system out and see what it reads....

And yes.. Its a full retail copy of SL :)

8. Maven1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked my office Mac remotely and it does not have this issue. This was the only computer that was upgraded Vs. erase and install.

Did you upgrade or erase and install?

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

permission problems aren't an issue, they tend to show up and not be repaired on some machines -- if you repair again and they don't change don't worry about it.

---

The crashing drive is an issue, as you pointed out there is a firmware update ... hopefully the issue goes away after that is done.

However the drive file system is still corrupted, and needs to be repaired or the drive file system will totally fail later.

If disk utility doesn't fix it, there is either a 3rd party drive repair or saving the data and formatting the drive. Simply reloading the OS keeps the same errors on the drive.

10. Maven1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Yea, I get the RemoteManagement permission error as well -- I've been ignoring it. This is on a clean install of SL and a straight update to 10.6.1 prior to installing any apps.

12. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

I have clean installed 2 machines, both are fine (see sig) none of them have SSDs i would like to add.

13. Maven1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sweet iMac! ATI 4850! Drool!

Im stuck with the 8800GS