second gen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benmrii, Nov 14, 2007.

1. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

So I'm ready to finally purchase my iPhone but the back of my mind says, "wait for the second gen!" Faster network connection - outside of WiFi - is my biggest concern since I intend to use it as an internet device quite a bit.

I've heard nothing about the next gen but I know that second generations of new products are usually pushed out by about nine months following initial release. At the same time I know that the iPhone's issues and much needed upgrades are so foundationally software that a new hardware version outside of 3G and thickness upgrades is probably longer than normal in coming. And then the reverse psychology / smart marketing warning bells go off when Apple starts announcing that they are fixing things with all software which may have a small amount of "placate them so we keep selling iPhones even though many figure we are due for the next one."

Did I mention I overthink things? :D

Speculate with me. Or flame me for the cliché topic. :rolleyes:

2. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I too am in the same boat. I was going to buy one - heck, even went by the store on launch night. Then I made myself wait. Next came the price drop. Then I figured perhaps now is the time. I was even looking at the 4GB refurb on the website this morning. However, I keep telling myself to wait for v2, or at a minimum until MW08 in Jan.

My biggest issues are:

1) Size - I'd at least be okay if it equaled my iPod capacity

2) Flash - The possibilities of us/access for applications and services on the web would grow 100 fold!!

3. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

Good points. Personally storage size isn't a big deal for me. Ever since I got a nano I rarely used my big honkin' video iPod anymore. With iTunes changing the music on the device is so easy I could probably deal with just a 4GB iPhone in the same way, and it would be worth it to have it all on one device. If you are big on the video use, though, I can understand 8GB being too small.

Flash, as I understand it, is something that can purely be upgraded by a (long overdue) software upgrade, so hopefully we'll see that soon.

I think the big things are storage size, which will almost certainly be at least doubled the next time around, probably more like a 20GB version, and 3G. I understand that Edge vs. 3G really isn't a big deal for those ever-increasing times when WiFi is available, but Edge really is fairly painful.

4. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

There will be no v2 in Jan, so why wait ?

Next update (hardware) will probably be a memory bump at a push but physical space is limited given the internals for a phone vs iPod Touch, but all others will be software based. There's a hint in Pocket-Link today which indicates that Apple are committed to providing software based upgrades for 2008 enabling more functionality. The ethos behind it being that all the missing 'features' will slowly be added on as demand dictates.