Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iDevices has developed a successor to its popular iGrill meat thermometer, the iGrillmini. First introduced in 2011, the iGrill is designed to connect a probe to the iPhone via Bluetooth, allowing for the remote monitoring of cooking food.

The updated second-generation iGrillmini functions similarly to the iGrill, but the exterior has been overhauled and the product itself features a number of improvements. Now more rugged and quite a bit smaller, the iGrillmini has a battery life of 150 hours along with a 150 foot Bluetooth range. Because it's Bluetooth 4.0, the iGrillmini works with the iPhone 4s and later, the iPad 3 and later, the iPad mini, and the fifth-generation iPod touch.

igrill.jpg
We took everything you love about the iGrill, added a ton of cool new features and packed them into a rugged, pocket-sized design. The iGrillmini connects using Bluetooth Smart technology and features a Smart LED, proximity sensor, extended battery life of 150 hours and magnetic mounting. We have also developed a brand new app to connect to your iGrillmini, the iDevices Connected app for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
It incorporates an LED ring that changes color based on the temperature of the food, and a single iOS device can monitor multiple iGrillminis at one time. iDevices has also developed an all new iDevices Connected app to manage the iGrill and the iGrillmini, which includes the ability to graph temperature progression, set alarms, and more.

The iGrillmini is priced at $39.99 and can be pre-ordered from the iDevices website. Customers will be notified when orders ship, and the accompanying app will be available beginning on November 20.

Article Link: Second-Generation 'iGrillmini' Food Thermometer Now Available for Pre-Order

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Please provide a trendy animated video so I can understands why I need this... because why don't I just use a meat thermometer?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I got the iGrill for my family for Christmas, I still haven't watched the video's to completely understand how to use it (and I build complex systems). I'm sure it's easy, but the thing seems more cumbersome than it is worth.

On the other hand, this seems to be a much welcomed redesign.

Someone asked why, I got this for my parents as my father is in a wheelchair from a double leg amputation in 2002 due to diabetic complications. I've spent a fair amount of time adding Philips Hue lights and other wireless systems he can use from his Mac and iPad's. This would help as they have a built in grill system in their back fire pit area.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I thought the first one cost much more than that, $39 doesn't seem bad. Not that I have any use for this at all.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
No pattern or symbol or word display? A color-only indicator is a turn-off for us color blind consumers.

It displays the temperature on your iDevice. And if you absolutely need it to be displayed on the device itself, then get the regular iGrill.

jeromewilson

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
When you buy a meat thermometer that sends readings to your mobile phone you know you've reached the point where you've bought everything you could ever possibly need, and then one more thing, so it's time to stop buying stuff.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Please provide a trendy animated video so I can understands why I need this... because why don't I just use a meat thermometer?

If you ever slow cook meat on a charcoal grill (multiple hour cook times), keeping the temperature in a certain range is very important. The last thing you want to do is remove the lid to check the temperature. It's also nice to be able to watch football or engage in some other past time and be able to check you temperature without going to the grill (or better yet have your phone notify you if a certain temperature is met).

If the only thing you ever grill is burgers or pork chops, then yeah, the igrill is probably superfluous.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

You have guests, you're grilling, and you sit on your deck having drinks and chatting with your guests, while monitoring the temperature with your phone. Or you could be hanging over your grill watching your meat thermometer.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
It might be to me, now ....

The original iGrill was one of those gadgets I looked at in the store and laughed at, mainly due to the high price.

I mean, come on ... I had a digital meat thermometer probe that took AAA batteries and sent a signal back to an LCD display unit (up to 50 feet away or something like that) that my parents got me one Xmas, and that was about $30. Why pay over double that much just to see the results on the iPhone?

But at $39? Niow we're in the price range you have to pay anyway for a product of this sort. If you don't grill much, or you like to watch your grill like a hawk the whole time you cook on it -- then no, this has no purpose for you.

I find with my Weber charcoal grill though, it's really difficult to tell what temperature the food is. Sometimes I think I have the coals good and hot, only to find the temperature gauge on the outside is struggling to get much above 250-275 degrees or so. Other times it's up there in the 400+ range in minutes. Either temperature is sufficient to get your burgers or brats BBQ'd, but it's all about how long you leave them on the grill -- depending on that temperature.

I don't get how this is a compelling product. What am I missing?

Bassic

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2013
When you buy a meat thermometer that sends readings to your mobile phone you know you've reached the point where you've bought everything you could ever possibly need, and then one more thing, so it's time to stop buying stuff.

I was going to say a toilet that you could flush with your phone. :rolleyes:

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010

Smoking takes hours. I just did a pork shoulder on my egg last weekend and it took 17 hrs. It would be great to know the temp from inside the house instead of running out an checking it every 30 minutes. It's a fraction of the cost of a Digi Q.

The original got terrible reviews so I'm curious how this one will be, but for $39 I'll take a chance.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013

1) A standard meat thermometer requires visibility into the cooking space to read, which either means some form of clear window (like most ovens) or opening the cooking space to make the reading, which is generally inefficient, especially for grilling applications.

2) There are out-of-oven probe thermometers (I've used them) that work just fine for roughly half the price of this product. However, that is limited in range to the actual cooking area - this product will essentially allow you to be almost anywhere in the house and get the alert, rather than having to be near the cooking space.

For most uses, the standard out-of-oven probe thermometer is good enough. If you want to do slow oven or grill cooking and not have to hover around the kitchen or grill, the extra cost of this device might be worth it. Totally up to the individual to decide that for themselves. That said, I'm adding it to my Christmas wish list.

Last edited:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have the original iGrill and it's awesome to use for smoking, grilling, and slow roasting. I can only assume the people in this thread that are mocking the product don't regularly cook like this and therefore don't understand the great importance of monitoring both your internal grill temp and your meat temp. Doing these at the same time from inside my house on my phone with the iGrill is great. It really helps with multitasking when doing a BBQ and you are cooking multiple things or getting other food prepped in the kitchen.

OC40

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Chicago, IL
I have the original iGrill and it's awesome to use for smoking, grilling, and slow roasting. I can only assume the people in this thread that are mocking the product don't regularly cook like this and therefore don't understand the great importance of monitoring both your internal grill temp and your meat temp. Doing these at the same time from inside my house on my phone with the iGrill is great. It really helps with multitasking when doing a BBQ and you are cooking multiple things or getting other food prepped in the kitchen.

I do not slow cook very often, but this is the first thing that came to my mind.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I made it as a video editor being color blind... I believe you can cook.
My point isn't about cooking. It's about product design. As a general habit, designers should use shapes, patterns, letters, marks, movement, blinking, or other visual clues in addition to color. People with perfect color vision will enjoy the most convenience, but others will still be able to use the product. Depending on the type of product, designers can go a step further by adding non-visual elements like texture and sound for blind customers.

Doc C

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
Design Cues

My point isn't about cooking. It's about product design. As a general habit, designers should use shapes, patterns, letters, marks, movement, blinking, or other visual clues in addition to color. People with perfect color vision will enjoy the most convenience, but others will still be able to use the product. Depending on the type of product, designers can go a step further by adding non-visual elements like texture and sound for blind customers.

As a physician who often deals with disabled patients of all types, I find that this is the difference between good design and great design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.