Second guessing my SSD decision; bought Samsung, should I get a Vertex 3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DWBurke811, Jul 23, 2011.

1. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

So I pulled the trigger on a 256GB Samsung 470, it's somewhere between new egg and me. But, now I'm wondering if I should have went with a 240GB Vertex 3; yes, I know my laptop only has SATA2, but why not get the 3 and saturate the connection? I know the Samsung is "more reliable," but is the Vertex really as bad as people say? I won't have any of the SATA3 issues people are having, so should I do it? The prices are more or less the same, and they're the same size. In a month or so I'll be ordering a 1TB WD and OWC data doubler, and 8GB of RAM. I don't think that really impacts this decision but wanted to give all the info about my machine as I could.

Thanks in advance :apple:

2. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

I know some people who own a Vertex 3 and have had zero problems and I know some people who own a Vertex 3 and have been plagued with issues. Personally I would just stick with your Samsung. Stability is more important to me.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What would be the point of buying a SATA III drive if your computer doesnt even have one?

4. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

To saturate the bandwidth of my SATA2 connection.

5. cinek macrumors 6502

OCZ got a lot of bad press recently because of the issues with their SSD drives. I personally would not touch of of their drivers no matter how much cheaper/better they would be from the competition

6. Philflow macrumors 65816

It's unlikely you'll notice any difference between Samsung 470 and Vertex 3 on a SATA II connection.

If you work a lot with incompressible data the Samsung can even beat the Vertex 3 in sequential writes.

The idle consumption of the Samsung is significantly lower.

Personally the Vertex 3 wouldn't really tempt me because of the bad reliability track record of the Vertex 2. Crucial M4 I would probably pick over the Samsung 470.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I don't think either of them is a wrong choice, but I doubt you'd see much, if any, of a speed difference between the two. And I'm assuming that the Vertex 3 costs more, so there's a knock against it. If it were me, I'd stick with the Samsung. Mind you, I am a Vertex 3 owner, for what it's worth.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You won't notice any speed difference. You will be fine with the Samsung.

9. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hate all of you with your logic and reason, I want the fast one!!!!!

But anyway, it looks like I'll stick with the 470.

10. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Good choice. If you don't have SATA III capability, no point to get a SATA III SSD.