Second hand App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spooktheherd, Oct 22, 2011.

1. spooktheherd macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a second hand iMac for my girlfriend which we set up and re-installed Lion with no problems. The actual problem lies when trying to purchase iLife from the App Store. It only shows and 'Accept' button as it will obviously be registered to that machine and the person who owned it beforehand. I was wondering if there was any way to repurchase iLife, or would a retail box version get rid of the 'Accept' button allowing my girlfriend to then update her iLife apps.

Thanks

2. luke.mac1 macrumors member

I don't understand the problem with this. You've purchased the mac, and with it snow leopard or whatever is installed, and this machine would've come with iLife too, so surely you own that copy of iLife now...

3. spooktheherd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply,

The iMac came with Lion, of which we then used the recovery partition to carry out a clean install. Now upon opening the App Store it recognises iLife is available for the machine but needs the Apple ID to actually login, verify and download iLife. But as it was activated by the previous owner this cannot be done.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You may be able to call Apple and get them to reset this, but I don't know for sure. I've heard mixed stories on this. The retail set won't help you with the App Store really, as it doesn't get registered with the App Store (although Software Update will provide you with updates if you install from the disk). You could just buy the iLife apps from the App Store too, although I understand not feeling like you should have to.

jW

5. eengland macrumors newbie

Same exact problem I am having! Did you find a solution to this? As you stated, you want to buy it, but it will only show an 'accept' button not a purchase/buy button, and expects you to enter the apple id/pw of the previous owner, same deal for me. I dont have that info, I want to purchase it, but I cant get past this accept button and find a buy button for it!!

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Contact Mac App Store
    http://www.apple.com/support/mac/app-store/contact.html?form=account