Second Hand iPad 3G Activation...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by alan111, Sep 17, 2010.

1. alan111 macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I bought a 16GB wifi from the apple store, and loved it. So I decided to buy a 32GB 3G as well for the family. I ended up buying off of ebay. Got it a couple of days ago. Looks great. I want to get the 3G activated on it. How do I got about doing that? I am not currently an ATT subscriber.

I went to an ATT store today to get help. They told me that these micro sim cards are under heavy security and cannot be sold, unless an 'error code' is coming up on the iPad. They said that this is for security measures, as not to activate a stolen iPad.

The previous seller left his old sim inside the iPad.

What do you guys reccomend I do? I really want to get it activated ASAP as I'm leaving for a trip soon!

Thanks

2. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    So what exactly was the problem with having AT&T activate it? They say it was stolen?

It seems to me that you should be able to pull the microsim out of the iPad and go to an AT&T store and ask to be signed up for the data plan. The sim cards are not tied to devices and also, AT&T is really going to turn away signing someone up for a data plan? I don't think so.

3. alan111 thread starter macrumors regular

They did not stay it was stolen. They didnt even look up the serial number. They just told me what I wrote above. I think they were a bunch of idiots. I'm going to try another ATT store

4. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

If you have trouble getting a sim card from at&t...try best buy or apple.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

You have the iPad.

You have the SIM in the iPad.

What happens when you go to the Cellular Data tab under Settings?

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Goto cellular settings and click on account. If it has fields to enter a new account you are fine. If it asks for email and password, then the microsim has been used. Goto an AT&T store and ask for an iPad microsim. Cost $15. Replace the old with new and go back to cellular settings and try again.

7. sevimli macrumors 6502a

Is there no free way to do this???

I purchased my iPad from a genius, and told me to go any store to get a free micro sim replacement. I tried once, apple store manager told me that she cannot give me one, and advise me to go to an AT&T store instead... :confused:

8. alan111 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

Just to update you on the situation.
    I went to a different ATT store today and told them my situation. They told me I need to go to Apple to get a to new Sim. I told them that Apple said I need to go to an ATT store to get a new sim. The salesman sold me a new sim. I put it right in and went to "view account" in Cellular Data. After a few seconds, it asked if I wanted to create a new account or use an existing.

Setup was very easy and now I'm all up and running. One thing I've noticed though; the 3G AT&T service seems slower than my BB Verizon EVDO tethered through Ibluever. Has anyone else noticed this as well?