Second hand Macbook Airs and hardware reliability

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Savale, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Savale macrumors newbie

I'm considering buying a 2011 Macbook Air. But it's just outside its 12 month warranty. Can anyone give me guidance on whether they have a good enough reputation for the reliability of the hardware to not worry about this? Asking price is £750 ($1,180) for 1.8GHz Core i7 Processor, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD.

2. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I would pass on that and just buy new: http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD231LL/A? if the tax difference is holding you back, I would think the tax is worthwhile to have a warranty. The difference between the i5 and the i7 is negligible in this application of technology.

3. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Apple products are reliable. Just because a product is out of warranty doesn't mean it will stop working. Now if you're wondering if the price is a good deal or not then see the post above mine and decide for yourself.

4. LeeM macrumors 6502a

5. stchman macrumors 6502a

When I went shopping for a new MBA, I looked at the used and re-furbished arena.

The price drop was not significant, just buy a new one. There are WAY too many people that think their 2 year old MBA is worth ~$100 less than a new 2012 MBA. Preposterous.

6. Savale thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for that helpful advice.

He's now saying he'll go down to £700. It's tempting. Firstly, the retail prices in pounds are a bit more than the dollar equivalent anyway and that's something I'm resigned to just living with in the UK.

Secondly he has final cut, adobe suite and logic on it. I'd definitely want final cut, and adobe would be valuable too.

And thirdly he says it's had 70 charge cycles so nobody has been proper slogging it in the last year. I'm leaning towards it...

Also given how much the extra SSD adds then it's at around 60% original price, so it's more than just a minor mark down.

Are there any obvious signs of anything wrong I should be alert to when I take a look at it?

7. solsearchin macrumors member

Bump, interested in knowing if there's anything to look for in the 2011 Mac airs when buying used

8. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Look at the screws and see if its been opened. Get serial number and perhaps verify with apple if any warranty work has been performed, if such info can be made available to you.

9. asting macrumors 6502

Assuming the tech isn't brand new, then they wouldn't leave any marks on the screws. Mine has been opened twice and I actually looked for this. You couldn't tell.

10. jbzcar macrumors regular

You can get them brand new for less than $1,000 US....

11", that is.

I got mine for $999.

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I'd suggest being a bit more subtle in giving out your uni's education discount code. Or just not doing it at all, Apple can and do audit purchases from time to time.

12. LeeM macrumors 6502a

13. B1sh macrumors newbie

Mba

Have you tried looking on ebay its possible you may find one cheaper and much newer

14. piratemc74 macrumors member

I'm using one...

to post this reply. Bought new, a little over a year ago. 13" MBA, 256GB, 4GB memory. It has been a dream machine. I already had a 2008 iMac, and it's doing fine, but, I needed (wanted) a portable to go along with it. My MBA has been 100% trouble free.

One of the key things I noticed in your post, was the software that was coming with it. Make sure you have re-install privileges, for when/if you want to reinstall a clean OS.

HW + SW costs, present the true cost of the used vrs new argument.

Good luck.