Second Hand Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AndyC, Nov 6, 2007.

1. AndyC macrumors member

I have been given the option to buy a 2nd hand Macbook Pro for £600,
    spec:

17" screen
    about 1 year old (i think)

Not sure if i should buy a second and one or pay the extra and buy a new macbook, if a got a new macbook then i would go for the one with superdrive etc for £829 (minus about 10% discount throufh work)

The issue i have with the second hand one is that the battery timer says i should get about 3 hours, but macbook closer to 5. Should the macbook pro last longer, it is apparently a new battery. also there are couple of black marks on the screen, which look like scratches or something has been left inside witht he lid closed, can the screens be replaced or can anyone suggest something that might 'polish' out the marks.

So the question is should i pay and extra £200 for a new macbook or have a second hand macbook pro? it will mainly be used for internet, itunes, iweb and the occasional photoshop editing.

thanks

2. iBecks macrumors 6502

Buy the MBP and if the battery power worries you, buy a second battery.

If not, let me buy the 17" MBP :D

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

The MBP is a bigger machine and has always fared slightly worse in battery life to the MB, the only thing you could do would be to buy a second battery if you needed to work longer, I believe you can put the computer to sleep to change a battery, but not entirely sure.

Obviously you should inspect the scratches while the computer is in use, if they're a distraction then that's an issue. The screen could be replaced but it's not a cheap fix.

Is the MBP a CD or a C2D, that will be a little performance difference, there's also the fact that the mid-range MB (with SD) has now got a faster bus and processor than the MBP your looking at, however still has worse graphics. If graphics isn't a big issue to you, but speed and performance is, coupled with an undamaged screen and battery life, you know which way you should go...

4. AndyC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies, It is a Core Duo.

I will try to calibrate the battery to see if it makes a difference to the battery time, as my only indication that it lasts about 3hours is the timer.

My main concern with the screen is that it could be something that will get worse over time, I could probably live with it as it is a the moment. but it does look more likely that it was something that has been resting on the screen and scratched the glass. ( would there be anything i could try to polish it out). I am borrowing the laptop at the moment to see if i want it.

5. AndyC thread starter macrumors member

How long should i realisticly expect the battery to last on a 17 macbook pro?

I am in the middle of calibrating the battery, I have charged it and left it charging overnight, this morning i unplugged the power cord and will leave it til the battery drains, I have coconutBattery running which immediatly showed the current capacity drop to 99% then after 10-15mins drop to 97% the timer said 2hrs 45mins, is does this sound right?

Thanks