second hand unlocked iPhone 2G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zisa, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Zisa macrumors member

I have an oppportunity to buy an unlocked iPhone from a friend whose getting the latest iPhone as he is re-newing his contract.

I heard that the unlocked phone only works until the next update. Is that still the case?

What are the risks of not accepting these updates, assuming that I have a choice.

Problem is that I have a fantastic deal with my current supplier, but want an iPhone.

Any one had good/bad experiences in the un-locked version?

I am not overly bothered with the application side - happy to pay my £2 for the specific application that I want.

2. mak10 macrumors regular

While you will still probably have to wait for the iPhone Dev Team to release a new version of their jailbreaking/unlocking software after the new update comes out, the original iPhone will always be able to be jailbroken and unlocked no matter what. The exploit used for that phone is different than the exploits used for the 3G and the 3GS, which can be plugged by Apple via a baseband update.

So you may have to wait a couple days before you update the 2G iPhone to the latest firmware, but there will always be a way eventually.

3. Zisa thread starter macrumors member

thank you.

Does that mean I am better off getting an unlocked 3G? I did not understand what you meant about it coming from the firmware

4. FuriousD macrumors member

It depends on the price and if you have the option of a 3G. The 2G is a good phone and if that is what is on offer then yes get it. As already said you will always be able to unlock the 2G for use on any network. I staid on 2.0 for ages before going to 2.2.1 When 3.0 came out there was very little time and the unlock was available so upgraded and ran RedSn0w, job done.

The worst thing that can happen is that you have to wait for a week or two for the unlock to come out.

D