Second hard drive ejects when copying files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LordThief, Feb 28, 2013.

1. LordThief macrumors newbie

I have replaced my optical drive in my Macbook Pro mid 2012 with Optibay disk - Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 1TB internal harddrive (6,4 cm (2,5 inch), 5400rpm, SATA III). I have formatted it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). It is working fine until I try to copy few big files - approximately after 5-7 min of copying I get an error "The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off". Then the drive disappears from disk utility and is only visible in the System Information menu as unknown. It appears again only if I do the Safe Boot and then again boot normally. Is it possible that it is overheated? Thanks.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Sounds like a loose/dodgy connection tbh. Double check all cables :)

3. LordThief thread starter macrumors newbie

Double checked, seems everything is fine but still ejects when I am copying files.

4. Johnnylane macrumors newbie

@#LordThief

I have the exact same problem with the exact hardware.

Any resolution?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Possibly faulty cable. Have you tried replacing that.

6. Johnnylane macrumors newbie

Drive Dropping Resolved

The answer:

I took the 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 and gave it a firmware downgrade. HGST emailed me application to set the port to either, Sata I, II, or III. Reducing it to Sata II solves the problem.

No more dropping.

Has somethgn to do with Apple/intels first venture into the Sata III world back then. I used the less expensive Opti bay kit. Not the more expensive Extreme they have created to solve the problem.

Works great and is plenty fast for a seconday drive.

7. gilbertcck macrumors newbie

would you please send me the downgrade file ? I got the same problem as them also HGST HDD...@@:p

gilbertcck@gmail.com

8. mestreandre macrumors newbie

mestreandre

I know it has been 2 years, but i just got a second drive that's exactly the same model and exactly the same is happening to me. Could you please send me the application too please?

All the best