Second hard drive hangs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jaxrox1, Jan 11, 2009.

1. jaxrox1 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Just discovered that my second hard drive has started to unexplicably hang and crash any program using it including finder.
    It's a work computer and its the hard drive that contains all the work files since the copmuter was put in.
    It was working fine, and then I went off for 2 weeks holiday and now it hangs. Does it in Finder which I can deal with, but it crashes Pro Tools whenever I try and navigate to the hard drive. I've created a temporary folder for the work on the Mac HD, but I need to access the files on the other one... Any ideas?
    Running a 'Dual 2Ghz PowerPC G5'
    Thanks.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sounds like the disk has died. Since it is your work computer, you do have backup don't you? How old is the drive? sometimes they just die, plain and simple.

3. stevey500 macrumors 6502

yeah, hard drives are like a tire installed by a walmart rookie. you just never know when they're gonna blow.

Go to Finder>apps>utils>disk util> choose the hard drive hanging> repair > do both options at the bottom, repair/check permissions.

Come back and tell us the results.

4. jaxrox1 thread starter macrumors newbie

There are some backups, but they're not very recent..
    I don't think the disk has died, as i left the 'open' dialogue in Pro Tools up for about 10 minutes or so and one or two folders had come up (program still hanging though), I tried this in Finder, but there was nothing, had to force reset the computer by holding the power button to 'unstick' it.
    The computer and drive were purchased in mid-late 2005.

Tried doing disk repair but got an error:
    'Could not unmount disk'

What does that mean/how do i fix it?